User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is it possible to only drive a couple weeks per month?

-

Okay, so I made a stupid post, wondering about Fleece Purchase programs...*slap self*

But I still need to know: is there a way to get on the road, doing long distances, but only part time, as in two weeks a month?

How do-able is the idea of purchasing a truck and then only driving when I want? (I would like to travel by truck, but only part time) Can a guy make his payments and expenses that way?

If only I knew an O/O who wanted more time off and would let me take out his truck every once in a while while he stayed home...

I assume there are no Company Driver casual jobs out there for someone like me who has less than a year experience?

Thanks very much,
Luke
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Luke, it sounds to me as though you are not a serious driver. Before most any owner operator or company is going to hire you to drive part time, as you suggest, is after you gain a couple of years experience. Most will not be able to cover you with their insurance. Even if insurance would cover you, they would be taking a considerable risk in allowing an inexperienced driver behind the wheel. Before you can lease a truck to a carrier, you will need at least 6 month's to 1 year minimum experience. If you have the money, you can get your own authority. Insurance will eat you alive on rates and will probably restrict you to a 300 mile radius and place limitations on type of freight you can haul. There have been 2 or 3 who have done the later on this forum. I would not recommend buying a truck and getting your authority without first having a few years of driving experience. The odds are against you. The best thing to do, if you want to become a commercial driver, is to commit to a year or two with a company so you can get some experience. Then you will be in a better position to find what you are seeking. You may not even like driving. Save your money until you have enough for a good down payment and working capital. It costs a lot to feed a truck. I have owned several. They are not cheap. Some costs go on whether the truck moves or not.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Gman you're absolutely right: I'm not a serious trucker. That's the whole purpose of the post: trying to find work for a non-serious trucker I don't have the time or inclination to drive full-time again.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand View Post
-But I still need to know: is there a way to get on the road, doing long distances, but only part time, as in two weeks a month?
I know this reply is a little late, but here is a company that hires "temp" drivers...

http://www.superiordriversinc.com/SDInc/Home.cfm
Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Rookie

There are companies that will hire a part time driver. You should expect a fairly serious road test and will still need to do the companies required training full time meaning you will need to take the time off from your other source of income to accomplish this.

For the routes available, I am second fiddle to the full time guys, as you would expect since they are depending on the loads to make their livings. If there is anything left over, I slip seat on the weekends when I want and when the loads are available.

It took 4 months to find the company, most said exactly what GMAN said, come back when you have exp. At least one said they could not even consider it due to insurance. The company I drive for is point to point on highways. There is very little in town driving, it is only passing through very small towns. I imagine it would be very different driving part time in heavy city traffic where an inexperienced driver would be accident central.

Of course, the economy kind of sucks right now so many are having a hard time just keeping their full time guys busy.

I hate slip seating but all I have asked said it would be absolutely stupid to buy a truck part time. The fixed costs would eat you alive. God forbid you bought a used truck and in 2 weeks you needed an overhaul, you would be under water for years. That exact scenario happened to a guy I know.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Knight has a 7 day on 7 day off program for company drivers.

I'm on the same boat as you, part time trucking (I have two small kiddos at home, can't do f/t otr) and I'm truck shopping this week and the plan is to run 1 week on 1 week off, I will be doing this under my own authority and the costs associated with that may not be what you would want to spend. Some carriers allow you to sign on a truck "part time" but if they buy your plates and furnish you a trailer be sure to talk to them what their min. time out each year is before you buy a rig and sign on the dotted line.

For what its worth I got my first truck with only 10 months on my CDL and didn't have any problems finding a place to run on a 2-3 week out and 1 week home schedule. You can find the companies out there, most are the 80cpm-95cpm range places (plus fsc) tho.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floored View Post
Knight has a 7 day on 7 day off program for company drivers.

I'm on the same boat as you, part time trucking (I have two small kiddos at home, can't do f/t otr) and I'm truck shopping this week and the plan is to run 1 week on 1 week off, I will be doing this under my own authority and the costs associated with that may not be what you would want to spend. Some carriers allow you to sign on a truck "part time" but if they buy your plates and furnish you a trailer be sure to talk to them what their min. time out each year is before you buy a rig and sign on the dotted line.

For what its worth I got my first truck with only 10 months on my CDL and didn't have any problems finding a place to run on a 2-3 week out and 1 week home schedule. You can find the companies out there, most are the 80cpm-95cpm range places (plus fsc) tho.

Awesome Floored!!! :bow::bow::bow:
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM
floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
Awesome Floored!!! :bow::bow::bow:
haha is it?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Board Member

If you had experience, HHG would work out nicely.

Roehl also has a 7 on, 7 off deal, but I'm not sure if it's for o/o or company.

HTH
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
If you had experience, HHG would work out nicely.
You'll have to explain how.....