User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt Lease purchase program: is it do-able and flexible?

Hi guys and gals,

I was on the phone with a very sweet girl at JB Hunt who told me about the lease purchase program. I am interested in the "Try before you buy program" which is supposed to be something like a $1600/month lease, $1000 deposit, "flexible" home time and dispatch.

Those with experience please tell me what you think of the program? I have heard from some that it is hell just trying to break even...but truckers are not known for understatement :?

What I am looking for (don't laugh) is a second job that lets me travel. I would not be able to work more than two weeks per month. Honestly, as long as I'm not losing money, I'm happy...I have another business that provides my chief source of income (but it needs some of my time, so I can't drive F/T).

Finally, how "flexible" is the dispatch? Can you be a little picky with your loads (as in, "This week I'm in the mood to see Florida") or are you stuck with the choice of A. what they give you or B. no miles?

Thanks in advance!
Luke
Old 10-03-2006, 07:10 AM
Rookie

Okay, I'm an idiot...I posted this question without doing a search. A quick search of the forum suggests to me that the only people who have something positive to say about leasing is the people who are just about to sign up for it...

ANYONE have anything positive to say about it?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Rookie

Luke, first of all keep in mind JB Hunt has three kinds of drivers. Company drivers, Owner Operators, who bring their own truck to the party, and lease purchase drivers.Now when freight gets slow or cheap, who do you think is going to get the most loads and the best paying freight? The company drivers. Who's going to get the second best loads? The owner operators who can go somewhere else if they need too. So that leaves the poor ol lease purchase drivers with the less runs, and lower paying freight, because they can NOT go anywhere else.There are many "hidden" charges in these things. Like a penalty if you drive too many miles per week, you may have to have all maintenance done at the terminal shop at an inflated price, and of course you wont be able to move somewhere else if you don't feel that your not getting the miles or revenue ( because you wont) that you were promised.Luke, JB hunt and most of the other companies that use the lease purchase programs make more money off of selling, financing and repossessing the lease purchase trucks than they do running the freight with them. I know this, because I deal with these guys on a daily basis. I'm not singling out JB Hunt here. Its every company out there who's doing the L/P Programs. It will make you a slave to the program. When you fail they WILL go after you for the difference. They will garnish your salary and your spouses if shes on the contract. If your wanting to become an owner operator then do it the ol fashion way. Work your way there. It still works that way. Save up for a nice down payment ,and buy a good solid used truck. There's plenty of them out there, you you will be much better in doing so.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Rookie

Rookie, I appreciate the very kind tone in your reply. I assure you, I have already seen the light, and am nixing this idea completely, to pursue the idea of doing just what you said: purchasing my own truck and making it work that way.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Board Regular

If you have a walmart dc in your area I think they have just the program for you.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Board Regular

If you have a walmart dc in your area I think they have just the program for you.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Board Member

If all you can spend is 2 weeks out per month, then the lease purchase program isn't for you.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Rookie
Default LEASE

Whatever u do dont get inbed with JB. Look at other sites concerning JB. I was there for 7mo and cancled my contract. JB is a bad co to be with, Go to TRUCKNET and read all about JB. fastgunslinger
"as we have therefore opportunity,let us do good unto all men,especially unto them who are of the household of faith"GALATIANS 6:10
Old 10-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Rookie