User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default First Step to get back in the saddle again !

Well,

I do not post much but I thought I would for some-one thinking of getting back into trucking like myself. I will try & be brief. Although I still hold a Class Cdl A in good standing since 1978 when at age 18, I obtained my TT License and ran over the road for Mayflower Moving & Storage and then went on to hauling Scrap Steel before entering Gov service. At 46 and after 26 years with the Federal Gov working on one of the stealthiest first line of Defenses this Country has, I attained my goal there and now want to achieve my other goal, and that is to eventually become and O/O, but more importantly, to be a successful one.

After many phone calls to different trucking companies it appeared I had basically two options. Get my own rig/authority and run on my own or take a training/refresher class to gain re-entry into trucking. Although owning my own truck right now and running the road sounded best at first, much conversation with the wife and we both realized hat I need to get my feet wet again before diving in head first.

So, I start Monday class/training thru ''American Driving Academy' sponsored by Cypress Truck Lines out of Jacksonville Florida which is right down the street from me. ...and yes I did my searches and read lots more negativity that positives about the Company but after many very frank conversations with Cyress recruiter I feel that this serves my short term needs and possibly more.

Fifty Five percent of the tuition will be paid by limited grants that they have and the rest by myself. However, If I work for them I could get the total amount that I pay reimbursed. Now, another Company made me a nice offer in that they would send me to paid training at 500 per week, hotel and flight accomodations paid and because I have a current license and past experience, training would be based on a possible shorter time-frame and then my assigned truck to take home. This with no comittent to the Company after training. This company was Maverick based out of Ark. Although this deal seemed sweeter, I am not of favor of riding shot gun for a few weeks otr. Not that that is beneath me, put I am a loner, and that did not appeal to me, especially since I have several years past experience and never had to ride shot-gun with anyone, this is just how I feel and it doesn't make it right or wrong. I am sure the pluses are you could get a cracker jack driver and learn things you were not aware of. So I know there probably are good points, but not for me.

As always, thanks a bunch for many posters that have been very helpful to me including but not limited to ''Gman, Btinc, Solo'' and several others.

I will keep you posted !
Joe
Old 09-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Go with Cypress, its closer to home, so when your 26 years of military/govt experience says I've had enough, you can return their truck and have the wife pick you up. Get your own ride and authority and go trucking. At least you have a retirement to pad your income.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Go with Cypress, its closer to home, so when your 26 years of military/govt experience says I've had enough, you can return their truck and have the wife pick you up. Get your own ride and authority and go trucking. At least you have a retirement to pad your income.
Thats the way I am pretty much looking at it. I feel its a win win situation for me. Yes, the cpm will probably be lower than other companies can provide however, I feel there will be other pluses. I believe it will all work out to my liking. And the pension pad is certainly nice to have, and I am fortunate to be in the situation I am in. I just received a package from Crst Malone and they will definitely be among my choices to lease on with when the time comes.

Joe
Old 09-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back on the Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Thats the way I am pretty much looking at it. I feel its a win win situation for me. Yes, the cpm will probably be lower than other companies can provide however, I feel there will be other pluses. I believe it will all work out to my liking. And the pension pad is certainly nice to have, and I am fortunate to be in the situation I am in. I just received a package from Crst Malone and they will definitely be among my choices to lease on with when the time comes.

Joe
CRST will make you a lease operator tomorrow. I talked with a guy last week who is with them, they just may live up to there contract. I think they will.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 AM

I have a girlfriend who just threw her hubby out and went solo in their lease/purchase truck. She seems to like it very well and is happy, with the truck and being solo.........