User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default OTR vs Local equipment

I work about an hour away from where I live and it's highway all the way. I notice all the trucks that are hauling local stuff and the majority of them look like total pieces of crap compared to the long haul trucks. I just can't imagine any of them passing any type of inspection. Am I correct? Are these people masters at avoiding weigh stations. When I was first looking at some used flatbeds I was going to budget 10k until I checked some out and all I could think was that I would be a non stop target for DOT inspections.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i know your local trucks take more of a beating then OTR trucks do. With the dump trucks all you do is shift. Stop and go all day long. After awhile it takes its toll. I think the local guys run more junk because they know local techs. Can fix them at night in there own shop not on the side of the road.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Board Regular

I agree....most local trucks are subject to more abuse. Weigh stations are non existent on the local routes of most of the lumber and log haulers around here. The only way these guys are inspected is if a DOT trooper pulls them over and uses the portable scales on them, but it does happen every so often.

I have a friend who runs a local dump operation, and they hardly if ever run legal weight. Heck....most of his trucks are old and falling apart, but he manages to do pretty well running about 20 trucks. He does happen to have about 5 mechanics and a good wrecker though! :wink:
Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Board Regular

I run for a local company and our trucks are very well maintained. All depends on the company, but they do take more of a beating than OTR trucks, and it is easier to get them in for service. I think most of them would pass inspections, they just don't worry about what it LOOKS like. We have a few beat up old trucks but all the critical safety stuff is very well maintained (i.e brakes, suspension, steering, etc etc)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 PM

I think there is more junk on the road then there is running around home from what I see.Just look at outfits like Tiebault corp,Sams,what's left of Tufts,o/o's that haul for Brox and there are a couple other dirt dummie companies that run 100,000lbs+ that have very well maintained (weekly)equipment.
Now you look at these bottom dollar road out Prime,Swift,England etc...those trucks go upwards of 20 to 25,000 miles between lube and maintenance.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 AM

Local trucks around my area seem a little ratty looking but are pretty decent mechanically, which is a wonder if consider the loads they haul. It amazes me the OTR guys are scared to death if they're 1000lbs over weight, they should see what some coal trucks here weigh. 140,000+ on 6 axles.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

The operation I drive for is small (4 trucks) and even we have our own mechanic. Everybody gets 1 night a week in the garage to get their maintainence, unless something else comes up that needs more attention, then we have 2 outside shops and access to the dealer garages (Peterbilt). But the moral of the story is that after 5 years (approx. 4-500,000 miles) we get a new truck and our 5 year old used stuff is in better shape than what most other people are running around in. The most important thing is a owner who is willing to spend some money on maintainence.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
The most important thing is a owner who is willing to spend some money on maintainence.
I know with alot of the smaller 4 or 5 truck companys are (dump trucks) the owners dont want to spend anything on maintainence. You can let maintainece go but it will come back to get you in the long run.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
The operation I drive for is small (4 trucks) and even we have our own mechanic. Everybody gets 1 night a week in the garage to get their maintainence, unless something else comes up that needs more attention, then we have 2 outside shops and access to the dealer garages (Peterbilt). But the moral of the story is that after 5 years (approx. 4-500,000 miles) we get a new truck and our 5 year old used stuff is in better shape than what most other people are running around in. The most important thing is a owner who is willing to spend some money on maintainence.
Man-I'm trying to pin you down but the 4 trucks screws me up. I was going to Guess Nowack or Albrecht but they both have more than 4 :P
Old 09-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Yooper,

I will make it easy for you I work For Jim Ambrosius Custom Trucking. You have probaly see our trucks before. They are the red and white long hood peterbilts with the flames on the hood. Albrecht doesn't have log trucks anymore and Novaks are going mostly o/o.