User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default SCAC needed?

I've been filling out forms for different companies to get approved as a carrier for them. One of them asks for my SCAC number. I found the federal site to apply for one. What the heck is this and do I really need it?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yes, you really need it.

SCAC = Standard Carrier Alpha Code

Bigger customers will know you by your SCAC code and you'll need it for your cab card registration - you may also need a DUNS number (Data Universal Numbering), and a Federal I.D. number or your ss number.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Don't worry about it, Steve. SCAC stands for Standard Carrier Alpha Codes. All any broker or carrier needs is a copy of your Motor Carrier Authority, Insurance naming the broker as additional insured, W9, and a signed contract they will send you. Most will require that your insurance carrier send the insurance information directly to them before confirming a load to you. If you deal directly with the shipper, you will need to put a contract together yourself. All most will want, other than a signed contract, is your insurance and motor carrier information.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 PM

Gman, you are right - but - much easier to get access to more consistant premium paying freight and life is much easier with a SCAC.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

thats total crap
Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 AM

If you say so.

What I can say for certainty is that customers with the most freight and that pay the best always want our SCAC code.

Why not get one? Is there a good reason?

If you're going to get your own authority, it is plain ignorance to not get a SCAC code - unless you know how to have access to well over 1000 premium paying loads each day without one.

I didn't think so.

My .02
Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 AM

Heck, you guys convinced me. When my authority goes thru, I'll get my scac! The more open doors the better!
Old 09-24-2006, 04:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The SCAC is a unique two-to-four letter code assigned to transportation companies for identification purposes. It is required for EDI, intermodal interchange agreements, U.S. Customs entry, when doing business with many shippers, on rate tariffs filed with regulatory agencies, government bills of lading, and on bids for government traffic.

I am not sure where you are getting your information, NoProblem, but I don't recall ever being asked for my SCAC code to get my registration, base plates, SSR, IFTA, IRP, etc., It is only a means to help computerize the transportation industry and is primarily used by the Federal Government. Unless you cross the border with your own loads or do business directly with the Federal Government, you will rarely need a SCAC code. I have never had a problem getting good paying loads without having to give a SCAC code. I can't speak for everyone, but it is not something that has come up except on a couple of occasions. The rates I seem to get are as high or higher than most who seem to post here, so I really don't think it will make any difference on getting good paying loads. Perhaps it is different where you are located or shippers in your area, but I travel 48 states and that has been my experience. Unless you just want to spend $35 or more to obtain a SCAC code, I would probably save my money. It is primarily used for identification purposes. Your DOT and MC numbers do that for you. Most small operators are not going to be doing business direct with the government. It takes too much work and time.

When crossing the US/Canadian border the forwarding agent is the one who puts the bar codes on your paperwork.

Although I have a DUNS number, it is not something that has been requested by anyone but the Feds when I updated my motor carrier information, and it was not required. A DUNS number is assigned by Dun & Bradstreet to pull up credit and historical information on companies. If you haul freight for a company you may want to get their DUNS number to use in part to check their credit and history, but I see no need to furnish one to a shipper or broker to haul their freight. I am not requesting credit from them, they will be the ones requesting credit from me. For the most part a DUNS number is pretty worthless in this business. Information is put in that the company wants to include and it is not used by many companies. Now, like I said, I cannot say what is the case in your area, but this has been my experience.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:25 AM

GMAN,

In some instances, a SCAC code is kind of like your truck number.

As a driver, most larger companies only know you by your truck number. As a carrier, most larger accounts only know us by our SCAC code.

When dealing with every thing from FMSCA to IRP to paying customers, they often ask for our SCAC rather than our company name as a means of identification - or verifying we are who say we are - kind of like when a creditor will verify who you are by asking for the last four digits of your ss number. Of course SCAC codes are public info - but I think you get my drift.

We have customers that require a SCAC and we have some that don't - either way, for what it costs vs what it can do for you, better to have it and not need it is my opinion.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I understand what you are saying, NoProblem. However, most small carrier's will get most of their business from smaller companies or brokers. While it could come in handy to have it for large companies, I have never been denied a load because of not having a SCAC code. Most use either the FEIN or MC number.