User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Health Insurance specifically tailored for O/O's?

Came across this while googling Greatwide Logistics and thought I'd throw it up here for general consumption...I have no idea if you have to be on contract somehow with Greatwide Logistics in order to buy it.

Quote:
Greatwide Logistics Services Introduces Nation's First Comprehensive Healthcare Plan for Owner-Operators
Tuesday August 22, 2:37 pm ET
Greatcare Arranges Coverage Up to $1-Million With Guaranteed Issue

DALLAS, Aug. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Greatwide Logistics Services -- a Dallas- based provider of non-asset-based transportation and third party logistics -- is officially launching Greatcare in conjunction with the American Trucking Associations' Driver Appreciation Week. Greatcare is the nation's first fully integrated package of insurance products and related driver services specifically designed to meet the unique needs of owner-operators, agents and their family members.

The plan offers $1 million of lifetime medical coverage that is similar to traditional major medical coverage, but at approximately 50% of the cost individual owner-operators typically pay on their own. For example, the insurance premium for typical coverage of a driver, their spouse and two dependent children routinely exceeds $1,500 per month in other carrier programs; a similar policy arranged through the Greatcare program would typically cost $750 per month.

"Owner-operators and agents have made it clear that the lack of a real healthcare program, industry-wide, is one of the main reasons they leave the driving profession," said Ray Greer, President and CEO of Greatwide Logistics Services.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Is it major medical??? plenty of companies say they have health insurance avail to owner operator and turns out to be supplemental insurance crap
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know anything about Greatwide Logistics but since the post title may draw folks wanting info on health insurance...

We had OOIDA's health insurance which is provided by Inter-America's Insurance (or, at least, it was a few years ago). They were okay insurance but it was confusing- since we didn't have a co-pay plan, we had to pay for the doctor's visit and then if we reached our deductible we could turn in all our receipts and go through the health plan. But, then, how do you get lower rates for your doctor's visits (since they should have negotiated rates that are lower than what you pay if you just walk in with no health insurance...)? So, we always paid top dollar because they wanted payment then and there (since we had no co-pay).

Over the course of about 4 years our rates nearly doubled- far more than you would expect for just getting a few years older (we are both mid-30s now). AND they increased our deductible amount from $1000 each to $2,500 each without my permission (just another way to increase rates). So I googled health insurance online and got Blue Cross Blue Shield for about $100 less per month with $1000 deductible. And I pay a few bucks extra each month for a co-pay plan- any doctor visit is $25 no matter what (excluding lab work etc). The $25 doesn't count toward my deductible- but it's nice to be able to go to the doc and pay $25 and be done with it.

I am much happier with the BCBS plan than I was with the Inter-Americas plan.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It sounds like you have a good deal on the insurance, Tweety Bird.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:06 AM

I had OOIDA health ins back in 2001 and wasn't impressed with it. They wouldn't cover any pre existing conditions. Knee injury that I had fixed in 1989. Found Blue cross that would cover it after 5 years from the injury date. Much better insurance. Actually cheaper for families and better coverage. Shop around, if you are young and healthy, maybe get only catastrophic insurance and put the savings aside for regular visits.

I do like OOIDA truck ins. programs though.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 AM

You know anyone who's had an at-fault or no-fault claim with them... I've heard a few tales that ain't so pretty.

Then again... insurance companies are SUPPOSED to be a PITA, aren't they?

Check it out: REAL INFO ABOUT WEIGH STATIONS
Old 09-17-2006, 07:18 PM

I had a property claim and they paid right up. But don't know anyone with a moving (accident) claim.

My wife used to work for State Farm in Dallas as an adjuster. Her boss told her that her job was "the denial of all claims"!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Rookie

i am 38 and BCBS ins for me and my family is 380 a month with 500 deductable. Check out thier website
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum2
My wife used to work for State Farm in Dallas as an adjuster. Her boss told her that her job was "the denial of all claims"!!!
Figures!

Check it out: REAL INFO ABOUT WEIGH STATIONS