Old 09-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Unfortunately Solo379 the stock market wont work for me as I need something that will generate a monthly income. Like I said wife is pregnant and I need the money. I am already working 50-60 hrs per week so there is not much time for a second job. The only reason I had this idea is I know some people who are doing it and they are doing quite well. They own several trailers. I understand that talk is cheap and that is why I came here to get an outside opinion. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could do that may be better. I am open to anything.
Thanks for everything.
Take the money you would spend on a trailer and get your broker authority. For about $1000 your wife could be set up with an office at home and you would have $3000-$4000 in the bank to start paying the trucks until the checks start coming in. It is a good business to get into and if your wife agrees, she will better understand what you do. If she doesnt agree, stay far far away from this suggestion.

I 2nd that!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Board Regular

I have a 95 Carrier
If you are still planning , you pick a unit(thermo king or Carrier) that has a dealer closest to you.
I have a carrier dealer locator and the book is quite thin!
And then they are mostly 8-5 operations

You can also send me the $5,000 and I will invest it for you.
I have not mentioned this yet but I have been working on a self chilling beer can and I can get you in on the ground floor.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:52 PM

That sounds like a good idea Load It, but I do not know the first thing about brokering loads. I would think there are many specifics to it. Do you have any suggestions on where I can learn more about it. By the way Sonny let me know how that self chilling beer can works out for ya.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea Load It, but I do not know the first thing about brokering loads. I would think there are many specifics to it. Do you have any suggestions on where I can learn more about it. By the way Sonny let me know how that self chilling beer can works out for ya.
Brokers is just plain customer service. You provide trucks for the shipper and you provide good rates for the trucks. You could test the waters by calling a small to medium sized shipper, ask for dispatch or transportation manager and offer some trucks for what he needs moved in the near future or presently. He will ask you to fax him some rates, authority letter, w-9 tax form, cargo insurance ( which you should provide on a per load basis). Try this and let me know how it goes. Its not hard and you have to start somewhere. Its a good investment. Youll come out better than buying that trailer.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
You can also send me the $5,000 and I will invest it for you.
I have not mentioned this yet but I have been working on a self chilling beer can and I can get you in on the ground floor.
Are you serious? I work in a lab and we have sterile dry ice. On Fridays we have beer, wine and munchies. Some of the people put the dry ice in there beer. Since it's a gas unlike ice it won't water down the beer and it looks really cool with the heavy fog coming out like on the Munsters!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
Hello?
This is the Jersey City Police.
We found a trailer registered to you parked under the Pulaski Skyway.
Oh?
Yes and it has 40 unlabled chemical drums in it.
Please come down to the station
NOW!
This is why you why you incorporate to place a financial firewall between your life and business ventures. One of my buddies worked for an electrician in Sacramento who had a large operation go down the tubes when an employee spilled fuel into a storm drain.

Have you thought about buying and managing a rental property?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 AM

I have thought of the real estate thing, but I would be more interested in buying, fixing, and selling. Rental property is kind of like owning a truck-lots of expensive stuff can break without notice. I like the idea of brokering loads, but where do you find the trucks to transport the loads and how do you know what rates are competitive. Where do I apply for a broker authority and what will the cost be. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have thought of the real estate thing, but I would be more interested in buying, fixing, and selling. Rental property is kind of like owning a truck-lots of expensive stuff can break without notice. I like the idea of brokering loads, but where do you find the trucks to transport the loads and how do you know what rates are competitive. Where do I apply for a broker authority and what will the cost be. Thanks.
Go to http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm to register for authority to broker. To get your bond, shop around, do not put up $10,000 cash, you can get the bond for about $500 per year, just like an insurance policy. Rates vary and you need to see what others offer, learn your margins, and negotiate with the shipper. When you start to post loads to load boards, the trucks will come, pay them quickly and they will continue to come and tell others.