User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dave,

If you're in CA you can get Assigned Risk insurance from the State. It's around 8-10k a year.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Rookie

If, by "the rest", you mean obtaining starting capital, a decent customer base, business sense, a lighter right foot, etc. :roll:

Be a company driver - it's where you belong, Dave.[/quote]

Customer base?
What about the load boards? I see literally hundreds of loads moving in and out of everywhere everyday. Especially on Getloaded.com. Seems to be ALOT of work out there without needing a "customer base".
Old 09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
Customer base?
What about the load boards? I see literally hundreds of loads moving in and out of everywhere everyday. Especially on Getloaded.com. Seems to be ALOT of work out there without needing a "customer base".
If you are relying on load boards to keep your truck moving, you have failed before you have even started.

You're right about one thing - there is a lot of work out there. But you would be shocked at the amount of it that won't even cover your costs.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Rookie

If you are relying on load boards to keep your truck moving, you have failed before you have even started.

You're right about one thing - there is a lot of work out there. But you would be shocked at the amount of it that won't even cover your costs.[/quote]

So your saying load boards alone, you can not succeed? If the truck is kept moving 4,5,6 days a week then why not? Could you explain in more detail?
[/quote]
Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:

So your saying load boards alone, you can not succeed? If the truck is kept moving 4,5,6 days a week then why not? Could you explain in more detail?
It isn't about keeping the truck moving. It's about moving the truck for a rate that justifies it, and most loads off a load board do not justify it (on a regular basis)

First, let's take a load off a load board. The shipper is paying $1.22 per mile, plus $0.26 FSC. The broker is going to take a 35% cut of the per mile rate, dropping it down to $0.90 per mile.

Based upon 3500 miles per week
TRAILER PAYMENT OF $500 PER MONTH = $0.036 CPM
PLATES, 2290, IFTA, ETC. = $0.012 CPM
DRIVER WAGE = $0.40 CPM

I can run 7 days a week at $0.90 per mile, plus $0.26 per mile FSC, running 500 miles per day, and earn $3,150 for the week, and earn $4060 per week, and have expenses of $4035.50 per week, giving my business a net profit of $24.50 per week.

Based upon 2500 miles per week
TRAILER PAYMENT OF $500 PER MONTH = $0.05 CPM
PLATES, 2290, IFTA, ETC. = $0.017 CPM
DRIVER WAGE = $0.56 PER MILE

I can run 5 days a week @ $1.22 per mile, plus $0.26 FSC, covering the same 500 miles per day, and earn $3700. My expenses will run me $3517.50, giving me a net profit of $182.50 for the week.

And yes, I know I did not include maintainance or repairs in either scenario, even though they would have been higher for the first one. Consider that one a free pass. :wink:

99.9% of the time, you will get a better rate by working OUTSIDE of a load board. Why give a middleman a cut, if it is possible to go directly to the source (the shipper)?

I'm not completely dissing load boards - they can be a godsend in a pinch. But when you are constantly giving what amounts to ONE THIRD of your income away to a broker, then it just doesn't make sense.

Run smarter, not harder.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

It isn't about keeping the truck moving. It's about moving the truck for a rate that justifies it, and most loads off a load board do not justify it (on a regular basis)

First, let's take a load off a load board. The shipper is paying $1.22 per mile, plus $0.26 FSC. The broker is going to take a 35% cut of the per mile rate, dropping it down to $0.90 per mile.

DRIVER WAGE = $0.40 CPM

I can run 7 days a week at $0.90 per mile, plus $0.26 per mile FSC, running 500 miles per day, and earn $3,150 for the week, and earn $4060 per week, and have expenses of $4035.50 per week, giving my business a net profit of $24.50 per week.

I can run 5 days a week @ $1.22 per mile, plus $0.26 FSC, covering the same 500 miles per day, and earn $3700. My expenses will run me $3517.50, giving me a net profit of $182.50 for the week.

And yes, I know I did not include maintainance or repairs in either scenario, even though they would have been higher for the first one. Consider that one a free pass. :wink:

99.9% of the time, you will get a better rate by working OUTSIDE of a load board. Why give a middleman a cut, if it is possible to go directly to the source (the shipper)?

I'm not completely dissing load boards - they can be a godsend in a pinch. But when you are constantly giving what amounts to ONE THIRD of your income away to a broker, then it just doesn't make sense.

Run smarter, not harder.
Could not have wrote that any better. Great response!!!

BTW its going to be a long season for the Pack. Sad way to end a All Star career.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

DRIVER WAGE = $0.40 CPM

Run smarter, not harder.
Could not have wrote that any better. Great response!!!

BTW its going to be a long season for the Pack. Sad way to end a All Star career.
TFMOTORS stick to following football, since you dont know trucking :!:
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have seen load on the different load boards ranging from about $0.90 to more than $10/mile. Granted, the $10/mile load was specialized and not everyone could haul it, but it was there none the less. That particular load paid $13,000 for about 1,000 miles. I will add that this was not a typical load. I have managed to find loads near or around $2/mile on a fairly consistent basis, until recently. There are certainly more loads at $1.50 than $2.00. It often takes a lot of work to find the better paying loads, whether they are on a load board or direct. Dealing direct with a shipper can be better in some ways, but it is difficult for someone with a single truck, who also drives, to find the better paying loads. Rates will vary according to time of year, region and number of trucks needing a load. Getting good paying loads is often a matter of having good negotiating skills. There seem to be some shippers using the load boards lately. However, most are brokers. If you don't have a roster of shippers it is a good way to start, as long as you don't take the cheap loads. It can also help get you out of an unfamilar area. So, to answer your question. You can make a living using the load boards. It is up to you whether you make a good living or scrimp by. :wink:
Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I browsed through getloaded.com a few days ago and found SEVERAL loads from CA to some place in Missouri (dry van) for 93 and 94 cpm, and few other quotes elsewhere for around a buck. Who hauls that crap? I took in over $3/ to my rental truck including deadheading home bobtail 20 mi each way sometimes.

Load boards are a great resource, but shouldn't be the bread and butter of your operation. :wink:
Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Rookie

Thanks for responding with all that info Rev. Thats good info to have.
In short, then what would you suggest is the least per mile rate one should accept if going off the load boards? I do see some that pay pretty good but how many do is the question.

Thanks again.