User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sorry if you get this one a lot...

Fresh out of trucking school, brand new here and hoping for some help.

When I first walked into the trucking school I attended, they told me exactly what I wanted to hear to get my 6 grand. "Local job?...No problem!" As I'm sure most of you here know already, that was a bunch of B.S. So right out of school I drove as a beer vendor for a shotty company...boy was that truck a p.o.s. Not to mention the 13 to 18 hours a day being more of a stock boy than a trucker.

Got to talking with my good friend/landlord and he offered to put up the money for a dump truck if I'd do all the research and find out if we could make money working as O/O. I know we'll have to work out the costs so we'll both be in good shape and am getting a grasp of the cost to own and operate a dump truck. What I'm clueless about is how to get on with a company. There are plenty of opportunities the next town over, Vulcan being one, but what do I do to get started? Walk up and say "Hey...I'm getting a dump truck...put me to work please."? It can't be that easy. What do I charge per load? How is that kept track of? How do I know where to go after my truck is loaded? Any help/training for the independent? I'll go to city hall and find out about permits and such...any advice on how to get on with a company that needs haulers?

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Old 09-09-2006, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Find other dump truck owners/drivers in your area and start asking questions.They would have a much better idea of what you can do in your area and who to talk to about hiring on,from guys in my area be prepared to wait on your money for up to 120 days usually they get it in 30-60 but sometimes it can take much longer.
I know plenty of guys that make it it Michigan working only 8-9 months a year and off during the winter,but they do work their tails off in the summer.
As far as where to go after you get loaded,I'm sure they will tell you where to go... :lol:
Old 09-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Walk up and say "Hey...I'm getting a dump truck...put me to work please."? It can't be that easy.

Yeah it Can be that easy-If you have a Major Contractor in your area talk to them.
Dump w/Pup gets around $150 an hour up here with a Major Contractor but our Construction season is kinda short.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

My niece and her husband used to own some dump trucks. There seems to always be some dirt or gravel which needs to be moved. They seem to either work by the hour or ton hauled. An hourly rate seems to be the most common. Rates down here in Tennessee are not as high, as I recall, as they are where yoopr lives. I imagine it depends on the type of equipment and competition. I believe they were getting around $70/hour when they were running their trucks. That is something which you will want to check with locals for current rates in your area.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info. "Where to take the load?" Yes, I see now a stupid question! I just have so many! Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Board Icon

Hey alter,there aint no stupid questions. You coming into this industry,you need all the info that you can get. A lot of stuff out there,you will have to learn as you go. Some stuff will come natural to you. Yeah,anytime,anything comes to mind,ask away. You may get some schmuck,like me,being silly,and give ya some goofy answer,but,yeah,these guys here can help ya out as much as they can. Dont ever be embarrased by your questions. There are many times when the new guys coming into this industry ask the owner opps here questions about this,or that,and there is a whole lot of stuff that I dont know about,when it comes to owner opp stuff,and at times,I even learn stuff.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:51 PM

The last time I drove a dump was in 1999. A friend needed help and I believe the rates back then were $55 an hour in the Atlanta area. Sometimes there would be a lot of trucks coming from farther away to do work because there wasn't any work to be had a their base. If you are really going to make any money you'll need to get a loader so you can do some of your own work. My friend has a couple of loaders and obatins and sells his own dirt and sand to clients versus just hauling it for them. Now he has two new Granites, a 953C, Bobcat, Komatsu wheel loader for his sand lot, a couple of equipment trailers, a Peterbilt with and end dump trailer to haul river sand, and other things that make him more employable. His biggest problem is finding drivers, but like the saying goes, if you pay enough.. I have an uncle who a supervisor in a quarry up there near Asheville and sometimes they are busy crushing rock because road projects are booming and then sometimes they are not. Another thing to remember about the dump business is that when it starts raining, work usually stops. By the way, asphalt sucks.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Board Icon

Asphalt does suck but the trick is spraying a fine layer of Diesel on your deck.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Asphalt does suck but the trick is spraying a fine layer of Diesel on your deck.
I know in PA there is no blacktop plant that lets you spray diesel in your bed. We all spray it in before we get there but if they check they will kick you out. I think its a DEP thing. They have this shitty soap you put in there it is good for nothing. I should say alot of plants just turn there head if you are praying at the plant.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 AM

If you have no experience with dump trucks you should really work for
someone else for a while. There are many bad situations you find
yourself in with overhead obstructions, soft ground, or turning over on
uneven ground. If you decide to go ahead with this only get a truck
with a double frame and 46,000lb rears on walking beam suspension.
Converted highway tractors do not last long.