User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

IF GMAN says "M" he really means to put a K for 1,000
Everyone else uses K but when GMAN uses a M he means K its a old school thing i guess :?:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I think he's a trucker in Rome or something. They all wear masks over there and use M and III and stuff like that.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
I have always wondered why G-Man always writes M after dollar amounts instead of G. You know.... $10G meaning $10 grand. Fill me in if it means something else. :nervous:

It means the same thing. Anytime someone uses a "G" or "K" they are using slang terms. "M" is still commonly used, along with other Roman Numeral designations, in most legal business applications such as copy-writes. The next time you watch a movie, hang around for the credits and you should see the copy-write using Roman Numerals. I prefer the accuracy of using Roman Numerals. I suppose it is an "old school" thing. But not too old school. The use of "K" seemed to start being used in this country when metrics and personal computers came into vogue in the 1980's. Before that everyone would normally use "M" to designate 1,000. I have never liked metrics. It was started in this country to go along with a world standard for things such as machined parts, etc., I believe it was President Richard Nixon who began the change to metrics, when he was still in office, around the time he took our money off the Gold Standard. The use of "G" for 1,000 probably began being used in the 1920's or perhaps as late as the 1940's in this country. It was made popular when some of the early gangster movies began using it.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
I have always wondered why G-Man always writes M after dollar amounts instead of G. You know.... $10G meaning $10 grand. Fill me in if it means something else. :nervous:

It means the same thing. Anytime someone uses a "G" or "K" they are using slang terms. "M" is still commonly used, along with other Roman Numeral designations, in most legal business applications such as copy-writes. The next time you watch a movie, hang around for the credits and you should see the copy-write using Roman Numerals. I prefer the accuracy of using Roman Numerals. I suppose it is an "old school" thing. But not too old school. The use of "K" seemed to start being used in this country when metrics and personal computers came into vogue in the 1980's. Before that everyone would normally use "M" to designate 1,000. I have never liked metrics. It was started in this country to go along with a world standard for things such as machined parts, etc., I believe it was President Richard Nixon who began the change to metrics, when he was still in office, around the time he took our money off the Gold Standard. The use of "G" for 1,000 probably began being used in the 1920's or perhaps as late as the 1940's in this country. It was made popular when some of the early gangster movies began using it.
Or, instead of having to explain this every 4 days, you could just put K like the rest of the world.

Just sayin'. :wink:
Old 09-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sometimes I can go an entire week without someone mentioning it. :P :wink:
Old 09-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow :shock: That was a very good explanation :!: Thank you. I did not expect that much of an answer.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are welcome sidman. Children used to be taught their Roman Numerals in elementary school. I believe I was taught in the third grade. It was taught along with arithmetic, punctuation and other basics. We used Roman Numerals through High School and College. I am amazed at how many people have apparently never been exposed to them. :shock:
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
hey Gman you should just copy that so when the next person ask you about it you can just paste it and be done with it. I know i would get tired of re-typing it every other day. lol

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Good idea, Mackman.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

or just make it a sticky, would probably save hunrdeds if not thousands of dollars worth of bandwidth a month :lol: