User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Should I get the warranty?

Buying my dirt truck, 2000 Freighshaker with a ISM Cummins engine. I can get a one year warranty for engine/tranny/rear included or the dealer will take $2000 off my purchase price if I don't take the warranty. The warranty does not cover what I figure would be most likely to go out on the truck (injectors, turbo) so I wonder if I am better off saving the 2k in the bank, or getting the warranty in the event something like a crank goes bad on me. Price of the truck is $26,000 with the warranty so I'd be at $24,000 without.

Truck was a Beneto fuel truck before so I'm assuming its been well serviced, it does drive very nice and is very clean inside and out, has 713k miles on it. Looking over the truck is looks like a turbo has been put on, other than that don't know much else on this truck or anything about Cummins engines for that matter. Thoughts? (LOL other than dont buy a Cummins or a FL, I'm set on this truck and it will work for what I need it for, I just dont know what goes out on Cummins so thats the help Im asking for, thanks!!)
Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Is this truck a tandem or single axle because I have yet to run across a dump truck for less than $40,000 and that was a 1996 the only ones that were less were single axles?

As for the truck unless it is spec'ed with a strong front and rear suspension be prepared for springs to break on that truck since it was built from a tractor.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would probably pass on the warranty if all it covers is the crank. However, I would probably do a dyno and oil analysis. A turbo will run you between $1,200-1,800. The last injector I had to buy cost $366 each plus labor. Anything can break on a truck at any time. I don't care for Cummins, but they are easy to work on.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACK
Is this truck a tandem or single axle because I have yet to run across a dump truck for less than $40,000 and that was a 1996 the only ones that were less were single axles?

As for the truck unless it is spec'ed with a strong front and rear suspension be prepared for springs to break on that truck since it was built from a tractor.
truck is a tandem axle, and will be fine for what I need. Was a former fuel truck and a few others at the company I'll be running for are using these same trucks with no problems. But yes its hard as heck to find a good truck already set up or a daycab to convert for that matter. This truck will have to have about 5k in modifications to get set up for the dump box and trailer but I'm fine with that since its the best I found to work with and the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I would probably pass on the warranty if all it covers is the crank. However, I would probably do a dyno and oil analysis. A turbo will run you between $1,200-1,800. The last injector I had to buy cost $366 each plus labor. Anything can break on a truck at any time. I don't care for Cummins, but they are easy to work on.
Warranty covers more than the crank, but didn't cover things I had wanted like the turbo and injectors which pastexperience tells me is what will be most likely to take a dump on me. I've always had Cats and Detroits so I don't have any idea what goes wrong on a Cummins motor with these miles. Truck already passed a dyno and oil analysis.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:15 AM
Rookie

Cummins N14's are famous for eating injectors, they do not like any water
in the feul. you might consider upgrading the feul filter system. if the truck
is equiped with a feul/water seperator. As allot of fleet trucks are. A Cummins does not work well with these installed. I have replaced 2 injectors this year, I have 600,000 miles on the truck,not really that uncommon with this many miles. Cummins told me to get rid of the feul/water seperator. The system they recomend is about $500, but cheaper then new injectors.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Senior Board Member

So, are you saying, they don't have any maitemance records on that truck?
As of to get, or not to get that warranty, is depends, what's covered, and if it's just that dealer, or a FL warranty.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

dont turn a road truck into a dump truck, well unless you like spending money.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

i agree with you brain 100%

floored i know you are set on this truck but i hope you like down time if it was once a road tractor.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
i agree with you brain 100%

floored i know you are set on this truck but i hope you like down time if it was once a road tractor.
Thats what I was trying to tell her you see I have been around dumps built out of tractors and they don't fare very well.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Floored

Guys thanks for the worry but trust me this truck will be fine, there are others at the company running these exact same trucks and no problems, the work this company does is mostly bringing in dirt to new housing developments and the roadways are smoothly plowed and the loads are not any heavier than what I hauled with my OTR truck. Shoot the road going up Donner is worse than what these transfer trucks drive on!

Now aside from ya'll thinking I'm a fool to build this truck does anyone have any REAL KNOWLEDGE on major problems these Cummins ISM engines tend to have? Thanks