User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
Wood's Country DC outside of St Louis 10 hours waiting and 300 for a lumper! never again
Thats more then what they get in Brooklyn.... :shock:
Old 09-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
Wood's Country DC outside of St Louis 10 hours waiting and 300 for a lumper! never again
Ouch
Old 09-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Grocery Warehouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCarriers
I've never been to any to deliver loads but some people have said that they are all crap-holes...will take forever to get unloaded,even if you have an appointment time and they are just and all around pain in the rear.. is that true?

The particular warehouse in question is in Elloree SC but any info on how it is unloading at any of them will be appreciated

Bones
FOOD LION?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Board Regular

Grocery warehouse suck. They always did. There have been some big improvements like Chep pallets but once you get that familiar smell of a food warehouse........
There are some companies Triple Crown for example who pay for a lumper plus pay waiting time after only 1 hour. If you work for them a food whse is a home run.
If you are getting brokered loads you learn real quick the nightmares. If you go to C/S refrigerated in Avenel you will come out wimpering like a puppy from all the ridiculous hoops they make you jump through. I had 4 skids for US Foods in Englewood last Tues. My first stop held me up for a long time. I got there at 11 am and an hour late. I waited on the street and the broker called them and was told they would get me in. At 3:45 the guard came out and told me to leave. This is no surprise with food. Roadway can get rid of 10 stops by noon. It will take you 2 days to deliver 5 stops of food.

The only thing I can tell you is you have to have good accessorials to run food. You need paid lumper and waiting time. Getting waiting time from a broker is a joke because they hate to go back to the shipper for more$$ I try to get the rate plus LABOR which means I can charge the going lumper rate in case its a straight run off or I have to take a row off. That way I can make a choice.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Board Regular

Yup, food warehouses suck, have learned though to tell them i'm not moving anywhere when they tell me to go sit up at the truckstop and we'll call you when we have a door. I just tell them that i'm the one whos one time so find me a door or a parking spot, its not my freaking problem that you dont have any room.

And i love it when the bills say nothing about a lumper and you get there and they ask if you want one. Someone here ordered the stuff so they can unload it, i aint paying some dope freak to unload me, i'll take the $$ and put it in my pocket.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash935
Yup, food warehouses suck, have learned though to tell them i'm not moving anywhere when they tell me to go sit up at the truckstop and we'll call you when we have a door. I just tell them that i'm the one whos one time so find me a door or a parking spot, its not my freaking problem that you dont have any room.

And i love it when the bills say nothing about a lumper and you get there and they ask if you want one. Someone here ordered the stuff so they can unload it, i aint paying some dope freak to unload me, i'll take the $$ and put it in my pocket.
you must use the electric pallet jack next time :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: But it does really blow when good ole CH Robinson sends me 140 mile run and says be there by 5pm. I get there and the guard says that 5pm the next day :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 PM

My first experience at a Grocery Whse. was this. Unload appointment at 0400 (4 A.M.).

I show up an hour early as usual. There are about 50-60 trucks there already waiting in the parking lot. I count 12 doors.

At 4:00 I walk inside the building, when they opened the driver's door for us. GUESS WHAT????

EVERYBODY has a 4:00 appointment!! I asked the rude lady in the window which door she wanted me in, she laughed and told me to go back to my truck, turn cb on channel whatever and wait until we need you.

I finally got out of there at 1:30 P.M. $150.00 lighter for the lumpers. They will let you use hand jacks, but not electric jacks. My pallets were OJ and weighed about 2200 pounds each. I have been in some better and some worse, but when I got enough experience as a company driver to pick and choose, I ran like hell from Stevens Transport!!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:27 AM
Board Regular

you must use the electric pallet jack next time :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, bite me mike, atleast i got in and out in the same night. I do know where our travel agent WONT be sending us anymore, "what this goes to C&S, my drivers wont go there anymore"!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If enough people started refusing to deliver to these places that hold you up, they would change the way they do business. I think if you have an appointment, and are on time, that they should have you in a door and unloaded within two hours, at the least. If not, they have refused the load and off you go back to the shipper, unless they want to pay you for your time. The only reason they continue to do this is because they get away with it. I hate government regulations, but I think this is an area which really needs legislating. These warehouses should be required to compensate you for your time and pay THEIR own help for unloading and re-stacking THEIR freight. This has got to be the only industry that pays customers to do business with them. :roll: That is the main reason why I don't pull a reefer.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash935
you must use the electric pallet jack next time :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, bite me mike, atleast i got in and out in the same night. I do know where our travel agent WONT be sending us anymore, "what this goes to C&S, my drivers wont go there anymore"!!!
what we dont go to C&S anymore :shock: you are kidding me right? :wink: :lol: