User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2ND chance needed

I have 3 months driving experience.

After a short mentoring which I felt was far from adequate. I was assured I would have endless support and help. In reality that was not so. I felt constant pressure to go beyond comfort and safety. I complied, but in retrospect should not have done so.

The truck had mechanical and safety issues which kept getting ignored. The Qualcomm often stopped working leaving me without directions. Sometimes I was getting wrong or bad directions.

I clocked over 6,500 miles during 4 weeks solo. Drove 5 days around Sacramento. Over Doner's pass, and 4 days in/around Atlanta, Ga. all without an incident. However, In a very busy and narrow RH turn, I was aware I'd run the curb but unaware of the pole only 4 inches from the edge. A bystander called it in and I was nailed.

A week and a few days later under pressure, I agreed to make 2-30 AM delivery. I didn't want to drive at night because my dome lights did not turn off which made driving dangerous. And the Qualcomm crapped out. took a wrong turn. Realised it and waited for redirection. Long story short- pitch black night, blinded by dome lights on a narrow road: a turn put back wheel in the ditch and needed a tow truck to pull me out. I was terminated in these 2 incidents

I damaged no equipment and by this time I felt (finally) equipped for the job. I got to all my pickups and deliveries promptly. Except for one near Sacramento where I crawled through an 18-mile stretch that took close to 3 hours! (I called late!)

I was pulled over for an inspection and because I had all paperwork and everything was in order, I was handed a document and told that I should keep that for references. The DOT officers were friendly and even joked with me. They asked me my story and wished me well.

This sat me back and with winter coming up I have felt less confident. But, I miss the road and wonder if there are companies that would consider retraining me and or pairing me with a team for a second chance?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Some companies will but you not only have those 2 incidents but also a break in employment and that means your limited experience is getting stale! You don't have time to waste, you need to apply to EVERYONE and do NOW! Start with this site and go to "trucking jobs" and do a mass mailing and apply to as many as possible be upfront with them do not lie or leave anything out. BTW those interior lights are on different switches and can be turned off, If you applied with me and used that as an excuse I doubt I'd hire you. The light issue IS one thing I'd leave out, own up to and except the fault. Good luck.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington