User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question I'm looking to get back in.

I have been thinking about how I could get back into full time professional driving. I started driving hot shots and straight trucks in 1978 at age 21. Before that I operated farming equipment from the age of 13. From 1978 through 1996 I drove regional KS, NE, OK, MO, IA, CO. Pulling tanker (Ag chemicals and fuel), Dry van, pneumatic, Hopper, Hopper/Tanker combination.
In 1996 I returned home from a run and my wife said it was time for me to get off the road. We had 2 small boys, one a baby the other 3 years old at that time. So I quit driving and got a 8 to 5 job doing maintenance. About 4 years ago I started a new job, it was primarily plant maintenance but because of of my past driving experience I had the opportunity to go over the road part time when needed. I have since left that job and returned back to my old employer of 1996. My oldest boy is now out on his own and my youngest will be going off to college next fall. I am still married to my wife of 24 years by the way.
My question is, how do I get back in to driving? From what I have been reading on the internet is that trucking companies want reacent experience. Do all the years of experience I have count for nothing? Do I need to go to a trucking driving school and start from square one? That seems silly. Does anyone have any Ideas to help me? I have always loved driving! I have held my CDL for 34 years. Had one layover in 1986.

Last edited by gordie; 04-15-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Rookie

I am assuming you still have your CDL up to date? If this is the case, get with whatever large or small trucking company in your area and ask about a refresher. Some companies have refresher driving courses, but you will possibly have to commit to them for a time, otherwise it will cost you. Some may even pass the refresher and just send you out with a trainer for a month or so, then put you on your own. Call the companies in your area and they can tell you better.
Its unfortunate but unless it is recent experience most companies wont consider it. Plus local experience really dont count that much either.
Good luck, hope you well.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Rookie

I'm looking for experienced CDL licensed drivers who can work in a team environment. Must be at least 24 years of age, have at least 1 year of tractor/trailer OTR experience. If interested, call KLM Interests at 337-350-3019 or email me your resume at [email protected]
Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Rookie

That is a fact, silly as it may seem. I know of a former owner operator that did the same exact thing to save his marriage; he sold out and got a normal job and after 5 years decided to get back into a truck. No one would hire him! He could run most any of the dispatch offices that he inquired to, but they said he needed refreshing. I was amazed, but this is a changed world that we live in too, I have to keep reminding myself constantly.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 AM
Board Regular

I got my cdl in 90. Left in 97. Came back in 12.

The megas all told me I had to go to school. I knew better. Found a local smaller company with 25 trucks that would hire me.

6 months later. I bought my own truck and trailer. A year later I had my own authority.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Rookie

I am an Independent Recruiter that finds jobs for driver's that matches their wants and needs to different company's. If you are or know someone who is interested, please contact me at 402-452-6176. Thank you Sandra
Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Rookie

How will anyone know the difference unless you tell them the truth, I personally am in the same situation. Got CDL in 1985 still have it today, joined the Army in 1991 got out of that in 2001 still following wife that is still active duty (move every 2 years) you know what the FMCSA states about where you live and your CDL (I'm well versed in transferring from state to state) I am looking to go owner operator but there's that question of experience have 6 years but from the late 80's early 90's. Guess I will buy the truck insure it and let it sit in the driveway for 6 months then i can say I was an owner for that long......
Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Board Regular

May want to verify you still have a cdl-a.

Last year they changed the regulation if you didn't keep your medical cert current, the state converted the cdl back to a car license only.