Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Winter (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21218-winter.html)

terrylamar 10-09-2006 06:27 AM

Winter

Winter is just around the corner, well, it is everywhere but Texas. That is the problem, I'm from Texas. Our winters are very mild. I'm in school right now and I'll graduate in three weeks. Soon after I'll go to 2 weeks of orientation in Des Moines with TMC. I think they have snow and cold weather up there. Then once I get with my trainer, we might / probably will be in cold weather. My problem is I don't have a wardrobe for cold weather. Now I've visited the cold white North on occaision, I just haven't lived there. I tend to under dress, my reasoning is that I'll soon be indoors, why wear all that extra clothing. For flatbedding how should I dress? In layers, obviously. Do I need long johns. Maybe just overalls that I can take off after loading. What about getting caught in a blizzard and not moving for days? Just wrap myself in a sleeping bag and have some MRE's and water for emergencies? What clothing and other equipment do I need?

10-09-2006 06:44 AM

I'm from New England and love the cold and snow. I would suggest buying some boots that snow mobilers use. They are the cats meow!! Buy a jacket with a liner and ends that close around the wrist. Long johns and a flannel shirt should be good enough. Your going to get warm just working outside. Make sure the jacket has a collar that you can zip all the way up and cover your neck. A Dickie is real good also. It's like a little sock that you pull over your head and goes around your neck then you zip up the jacket. A good wool hat and some gloves and you should be good to go. I wouldn't worry too much about being caught for days on a major road. If it's shut down the police will get each and everyone of you out of there. I know, I've helped with my Ski Doo a few times. Women and children would freeze to death before the first night is done if they didn't. Being from New England I always watch the weather report. If it's going to snow I always fill up my tank. With a full take of fuel you can idle for a LONG time!!!

Jackrabbit379 10-09-2006 06:54 AM

Terry,I would get a pair of coveralls. Dont buy any at Wal-Mart,or any other dept store here in Texas. They arent heavy enough. Get some from up north. If youre in Iowa,get some up there. Be and sure to buy the coveralls that have the brown/black inside lining. Dont buy the red lining. The red lining is for the winters here in Texas,and the brown/black linings are heavy enough to go moose hunting in North Dakota :P I have a pair of Polar King coveralls that I bought when I was in South Dakota several years ago. I wear them when its cold here,and just from walking around while feeding cattle,I break a sweat. You get the right pair from Iowa,or anywhere else up north,those will be all you need. Get some that are just a little bigger. If you get the "right" size for you,they may be too tight.

terrylamar 10-09-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Terry,I would get a pair of coveralls. Dont buy any at Wal-Mart,or any other dept store here in Texas. They arent heavy enough. Get some from up north. If youre in Iowa,get some up there. Be and sure to buy the coveralls that have the brown/black inside lining. Dont buy the red lining. The red lining is for the winters here in Texas,and the brown/black linings are heavy enough to go moose hunting in North Dakota :P I have a pair of Polar King coveralls that I bought when I was in South Dakota several years ago. I wear them when its cold here,and just from walking around while feeding cattle,I break a sweat. You get the right pair from Iowa,or anywhere else up north,those will be all you need. Get some that are just a little bigger. If you get the "right" size for you,they may be too tight.

Do you wear these over your other cloths? Or do you change after you get your load secure? If you wear them over your other cloths do they need to be that heavy? What do you do about rain. Is a rain suit better or a poncho? I can see a ponch flapping around in the wind. It sure is easier to wear though.

10-09-2006 08:46 AM

If it's cold enough to be bundled up it's sure as hell not raining!!!

terrylamar 10-09-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
If it's cold enough to be bundled up it's sure as hell not raining!!!

Take that as a separate question.

GMAN 10-09-2006 10:36 AM

I have been pulling flats for a few years and cars before that. I usually only wear a jacket and gloves. I tend to sweat easily and it is better to be a little cool than work out in the cold wind while wet from sweat. I know very few flat bedder's who use rain gear. I use a windbreaker or light jacket most of the time. I do keep a heavier jacket in the truck, if needed. I rarely use a very heavy coat. It is too confining and you can get a bit hot chaining and securing a load. A rain coat is too hot for me. There are some jackets with vinyl or plastic coverings which are good in rain. They are lightweight, warm and rain resistant.

Windwalker 10-09-2006 01:32 PM

I pulled flats, based out of WI and MN. There are COVERALLS that are insulated, and you want the kind that have zippers up the sides of the legs. They should fit loose over your normal clothes.

Something else I have used, and seen used is a SNOWMOBILE SUIT. I've used a one-piece, but mostly see two-piece used. The two-piece allows you the option of covering the bottom or not.

Since TMC seems to bet to every part of the country, I would suggest a couple of pairs of THERMAL-UNDERWEAR as well. You might pick up a load in ND in temps of -40 degrees, and deliver that same load in GA at a temp of +70. Not enough clothing and you'll be too cold to work. Too many clothes, and you won't be able to work. But in weather that's -30 with a 50mph wind, NOTHING SEEMS WARM ENOUGH.

If you go through salted snow to deliver your load, a pair of RUBBER COATED GLOVES will keep your hands dry and much warmer than leather when handling water-soaked straps.

yoopr 10-09-2006 02:59 PM

Get yourself a set of Carhart Arctic(Insulated Jacket and Coveralls) to stow away in your closet for extreme conditions along with a Pair Of Sorrel Insulated boots or LaCrosse Iceman's. Both are rated for around
-70f and lower. You don't have to wear these things while working but they're very good survival gear if needed.

DesertRat 10-09-2006 03:18 PM

I've gotta agree with Yoopr on this one. Get yourself a Carhartt jacket and pants (or coveralls.) In a previous life I worked construction in the upper midwest and Carhartts are standard issue in the winter. Plenty warm, pretty windproof, water resistant and not so constricting that you can't work in them. They also hold up to abuse real well. You gotta figure that the cloths worn by farmers and construction workers to stay warm is gonna hold up to anything you can dish out. Along with that, I carry my Rocky hunting boots. I highly recommend them for warmth, water resistance and durability, but I will concede that you can get a lot of the same qualities in a more affordable boot.

shyykatt 10-09-2006 04:53 PM

Thats right-Carharts n' rockies!

"Winter"- BAD WORD!!

yoopr 10-09-2006 04:56 PM

supposed to start snowing here beginning Wednesday

terrylamar 10-09-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Get yourself a set of Carhart Arctic(Insulated Jacket and Coveralls) to stow away in your closet for extreme conditions along with a Pair Of Sorrel Insulated boots or LaCrosse Iceman's. Both are rated for around
-70f and lower. You don't have to wear these things while working but they're very good survival gear if needed.

Yeah, I already bought a Carhartt Coat and Jacket. I am looking at their socks and Coveralls. Believe it or not a local store in Austin stocks their complete line, Sportsman Warehouse.

shyykatt 10-09-2006 05:01 PM

Here too- already quite chilly out- I hate it!!(and I have lived here all my life- I should be used to it!) :cry:

terrylamar 10-09-2006 05:08 PM

It almost feels like Winter is just about here. We cool down to 90 today. We'll have to break out the jackets any day now.

nrvsreck 10-09-2006 06:06 PM

Upper sixties here in NE Texas by Thursday! Can't wait. It's been a pretty mild late summer since late August. Can't imagine how cold it will be this winter with such cools temps this early.

As far as winter gear goes, when i hauled flatbed all I needed was a good Carhartt jacket, wooly head thingy (what are they called?), long johns for waayyy up north, and work gloves. I sweat very easily, so I don't like to bundle up too much.

yoopr 10-09-2006 06:48 PM

Called a Chook

Jackrabbit379 10-09-2006 07:07 PM

Who did you call,yoopr?

tjv189 10-09-2006 08:06 PM

terrylamar, try living in western Pennsylvania all your life, you will then know what a snowy and cold winter is. Haha, my uncle lives in Texas and says all they can do in the summer is sit inside in the air conditioning. Iowa I think is where you said, they get cold temps but not as much snow as if you were closer to the lakes/mountains or oceans, so you won't have to worry about too much snow there. Just hope you don't have to drive through PA in January...........bad roads plus bad weather......... not a good combination. Best of luck.

terrylamar 10-09-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjv189
terrylamar, try living in western Pennsylvania all your life, you will then know what a snowy and cold winter is. Haha, my uncle lives in Texas and says all they can do in the summer is sit inside in the air conditioning. Iowa I think is where you said, they get cold temps but not as much snow as if you were closer to the lakes/mountains or oceans, so you won't have to worry about too much snow there. Just hope you don't have to drive through PA in January...........bad roads plus bad weather......... not a good combination. Best of luck.

I had the good fortune to pick parents that live in Texas. I live in South Central Texas. Dallas and parts further North are winter enough for me. I don't really mind the cold as much as I am ill prepared for it.

GTR SILVER 10-10-2006 12:44 AM

winter

are you going to run dedicated in texas for TMC? :?: :?:

WildK9 10-10-2006 12:52 AM

i used to enjoy working going up to the terminal in Oswego, NY for Metal Transportation Systems. loved that lake effect snow! :)

nrvsreck 10-10-2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Called a Chook

Damned Canadians! Sounds like some Inuit crap.

Sorry, I love you snowbirds up there!

Sheesh, I hate living down here. Six months of the year either stuck indoors in the A/C or outside sweating until you're ready to give up and die. Our summers are as bad as your winters. Thirty years of living down here and I still hate it. Guess I'll put on longjohns and "chook" and pretend I'm in the Great White North! 8)

special k 10-10-2006 02:11 AM

It's actually called a Touque, all those guy in the UP of Mi are just wannebe Canadians. Carhartt insulated overalls, a good jacket, a pair of snowmobile boots for when it gets sloppy, some water resistant gloves and you're good to go. The last few winters I've been wearing Carhartt noninsulated pants in the winter. Must be getting old :lol: Besides if you're a little cold it'll teach you to tarp faster so you can back in the truck :lol:

yoopr 10-10-2006 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special k
It's actually called a Touque, all those guy in the UP of Mi are just wannebe Canadians. Carhartt insulated overalls, a good jacket, a pair of snowmobile boots for when it gets sloppy, some water resistant gloves and you're good to go. The last few winters I've been wearing Carhartt noninsulated pants in the winter. Must be getting old :lol: Besides if you're a little cold it'll teach you to tarp faster so you can back in the truck :lol:

Some call them Tooks-Some call em Chooks.
One winter we were pushing -50f and had my Arctic Carhartt's on and was really warm plus wearing my Sorrels but man, after a winter of wearing those you'll have the strongest legs of any man alive :P

"Wannabe Canadian"?? pfffffffffffffffttttttttttt :P

Only good thing about Canada is your Vinegar and Fries :P

terrylamar 10-10-2006 02:55 AM

Re: winter

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR SILVER

I am happily single. I want to get out on the road as much as possible.

yoopr 10-10-2006 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:

I am happily single. I want to get out on the road as much as possible.

Companies love hearing that

GTR SILVER 10-10-2006 03:09 AM

winter

you seem to be concerned with the weather....................if you ran texas......no worries......lol

terrylamar 10-10-2006 03:20 AM

Quote:

you seem to be concerned with the weather....................if you ran texas......no worries......lol

While I am concerned about driving in the snow and ice, I was more concerned about not having the proper clothing. For years I haven't even owned a coat or jacket. A hoodie was more than enough. While young and stupid one of my fondest sayings used to be I could could get a better tan in the Winter because I didn't have to sit outside and sweat so much. I did check into Line Haul and Texas Dedicated. Right now, new to trucking, I think I want to get Long Haul out of my system. Later, I will consider Texas Dedicated. There seems to be a lot of work here. TMC will have a new terminal up and running in the Dallas area in 18 months.

GTR SILVER 10-10-2006 03:44 AM

winter

if you want to go otr..........great.......i guess i'm into more home time ...................you know... work smarter not harder........
i'm in north jersey and loking into "home daily" or every other day with TMC.......................flatbed fred has been great...........just getting my "ducks" in a row and then i go

fred if your out there......let me know how the daily run is going
frank,jersey city

terrylamar 10-10-2006 03:58 AM

Quote:

if you want to go otr..........great.......i guess i'm into more home time ...................you know... work smarter not harder........
i'm in north jersey and loking into "home daily" or every other day with TMC.......................flatbed fred has been great...........just getting my "ducks" in a row and then i go

fred if your out there......let me know how the daily run is going
frank,jersey city

OTR seems to be the dues you pay to be considered a "real" trucker. Nothing wrong with Line Haul or Dedicated. I just don't want to be driving the same road day in and day out. I'll get this out of my system then change, maybe even move into recruiting or management later on. I want to drive to Alaska, all 48 states and even drive into New York, City, once :shock:

GTR SILVER 10-10-2006 04:16 AM

winter

i hear ya.......all the best to ya and keep us posted on your ride with TMC.
by the way,,,, AUSTIN.......nice place to live??.my wife and i wanted to visit there one of these days..............lol

terrylamar 10-10-2006 04:55 AM

Quote:

["Wannabe Canadian"?? pfffffffffffffffttttttttttt :P

Only good thing about Canada is your Vinegar and Fries :P

Down along the southern border of Texas in Eagle Pass, popcorn with hot sauce is popular. It is an aquired taste, it is alright once you do though.

terrylamar 10-10-2006 05:03 AM

Quote:

i hear ya.......all the best to ya and keep us posted on your ride with TMC.
by the way,,,, AUSTIN.......nice place to live??.my wife and i wanted to visit there one of these days..............lol

Too many liberals in Austin. Way, way too hot in the summer. If you like panhandlers that will do anything but work, it's the place to be.

GTR SILVER 10-10-2006 12:35 PM

winter

libs...................ugh.............that's all i'm surrounded by in jersey...love the state...hate the politics

tjv189 10-15-2006 07:27 PM

Talk about liberals, I'm from Pennsylvania. Vast majority is liberals, its a big union state. I'm proud to be from PA, but not proud of its politics, just as the person above me said about Jersey.

Douglas 10-16-2006 02:09 AM

Couldn't you just turn the heaters on in the trucks? :?

terrylamar 10-16-2006 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas
Couldn't you just turn the heaters on in the trucks? :?

Unfortunately, that doesn't get rid of liberals. :D

uglymutt 10-16-2006 05:34 AM

drove in snow 3 weeks ago in wyoming...got pictures of ice on windsheild, then a week ago drove through snow in southern idaho going into montana... I think winter is great, its not cold till its below zero...

One 10-16-2006 06:56 AM

I saw a black doode in FL wearing winter gear and it was 70 deg. out :lol: :D