Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Then how come that sentiment wasn't posted in response to yoopr's post?
Because I made that post as soon as I read the thread for the first time. Mods can't read every single thread...this would be a 24/7 job. Most of the threads that get past page 1, I'll look into to make sure there isn't a flamewar going on. But beyond that, we rely a lot on people letting us know that someone has gotten out of hand.

In this case, people (meaning everybody) need to cool their jets regarding Canada/US relations. It's political, it's a hot-topic, and people can rarely disagree about it without it stirring up patriotic emotions for whichever country you reside in. Standard human emotional response, I guess. Just check the emotions at the door.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Back to the topic at hand:

Quote:
I believe A DUI will prevent you from entering Canada forever. It is an unpardonable criminal offense here. Since you don't have one, and no felonies, you should have no trouble entering Canada. Unpaid alimony will also prevent you from crossing the border

The DUI info is actually untrue. Drivers with DUI's are capable of crossing the border, as long as the DUI wasn't an aggravated offense that included evasion, resisting arrest, or and accident with injuries or fatalaties. We are able to hire driver's with a past DUI here as long as it was more than 5 years ago. We run very little Canada, but have never had a driver with a DUI have any issue with it.

You are right on with the the alimony thing, though. Canada considers unpaid child support to be a felony.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member

set aside politics, metric system, money ratio and etc..... Canada is a beautiful country .... I've never had Any problems while there .... sure it takes a bit to get through the boarders some times .... but it isn't any worse than setting in traffic in LA / time wise. I did do a bit of research of their laws before going that way thou .... ..... I've gone from the west coast to the east coast in Canada .... and I'd be glad to do it again............... the only situation I came across that upset me was .... couldn't find the address of where i was going .... and the people that i asked directions from ..... didn't speak English .... and being that I'm a female ..... back then, they didn't see to many Female drivers and especially driving solo .

but if you go there in the middle of winter .... goodness ,,,, I've never been anywhere here in the USA that gets as COLD as it does there ..... brrrrrrr ....................

4roses
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

In Montreal they speak English but pretend they don't-
about the part of "I cared more about 9/11 than most Americans you were with" Perhaps you should choose better friends
BS
Old 04-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

It's true, I do not BS, and I know how to choose my friends thank-you. I was at work at the time and we had a TV there. Everyone just kept working but I couldn't, I was too upset. I couldn't do anything but follow the news for almost a week. Some of them even said America deserved it. I am still freaked out about that.

In Montreal we have a language problem because some people don't speak French, and some people don't speak English. I drive teams and they always put me with a guy that doesn't speak English because they don't want to put two guys that don't speak English in the same truck going to the US. Believe me there are a lot of people who can't speak English in Montreal. There are some, like myself, who refuse to speak French even though they are fluently bilingual so I speak English to the French people. If however they really can't speak English I speak French. French people are used to people like me and so they in turn refuse to speak English whenever possible even if they can because they want to protect their language. It isn't uncommon to hear two people talking, one of them in French, and one in English, but if you mention that you are American and do not speak French, someone would be happy to translate.

Regardless, I fail to see in your reply any reason to say that US border problems are caused by Canada.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:46 AM
Board Icon

I wasn't PERSONALLY attacking you-I was talking about the PM who RIPPED our President-that OTHER poster who very uncraftedly attacked me for being a Vietnam Vet-I was also in Iraq and PERSONALLY saw WMD and the effects of it later on with Live stock in Iraq.

PS-I lost a very good friend at the Pentagon who was in the Army when it was attacked.

You KNOW, if you're honest with me, that MANY in Quebec said or thought We deserved it.

J'taime
Old 04-05-2005, 06:09 AM

I go to Canada hunting about every year. However since 911 it's a bit difference.

And If you have a DUI, DWI your OMVI (there all the same anyway) or any other Felonies, don't think about crossing the border.
In Canada "Drinking and Driving" is a Felony ( in Quebec, you can get Life in prison for DUI).

If they check your record they turn you around and send you back across.

But the only problems that I have every had was from the US Customs personnel. (Must have been bored) JERKs! And that was before 911!

The Canadian have a better Health care system than we do!
IF you work! Your Covered! ....
Old 04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
In Montreal we have a language problem because some people don't speak French, and some people don't speak English. I drive teams and they always put me with a guy that doesn't speak English because they don't want to put two guys that don't speak English in the same truck going to the US.
Hell dont feel bad Hangman. We have alot of people here in the us who cant speak english. And they were born here.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I wasn't PERSONALLY attacking you-I was talking about the PM who RIPPED our President-that OTHER poster who very uncraftedly attacked me for being a Vietnam Vet-I was also in Iraq and PERSONALLY saw WMD and the effects of it later on with Live stock in Iraq.

PS-I lost a very good friend at the Pentagon who was in the Army when it was attacked.

You KNOW, if you're honest with me, that MANY in Quebec said or thought We deserved it.

J'taime
OK I won't take it personally. I?ve never heard of Paul Martin being anything other than respectful to George Bush and I was curious enough to search but I couldn?t find anything. I know they have different views on some subjects but in light of his recent invited visit to George?s ranch I can?t see it having been seen too negatively by the President. I sure would like to know what it was though.

The Vietnam War was before my time. I was only 9 when it ended but the idea of protecting South Vietnam, which was against communism, from collapsing and being controlled by the communist North Vietnam sounds like the right thing to do in my book.

I wasn?t in Quebec at the time but I?m sure that you are correct. As sad as that is, it is not nearly as shocking as Americans saying it. When an outsider says something negative, I take it as bigotry, somewhat like when a white person insults a black person or visa-versa. When white people start bad mouthing white people for being white, then I get confused, and that was basically my problem with Americans saying what they did about 9-11. They should know better.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Board Icon

Hope this woman stays up there cuz she's SURELY not welcome here-Might be hazardous to her health.

This past spring, Carolyn Parrish, a Liberal Member of Parliament from Mississauga (west of Toronto), blurted out into an open microphone, ?Damn Americans! I hate those bastards.? Instead of being vilified for the remark, Parrish became a folk heroine in Canada and appeared on the Mike Bullard Show (the Canadian equivalent of David Letterman).

Folk Heroine??? hmmmmm