User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Passed one DOT physical but failed at the employers physical

Hi all, I am in process of obtaining my Cdl. 2 months ago I passed my physical with my doctor and optioned my permit. 3 weeks later I went to a trucking school/ potential employer who failed me on the eye test. I signed up with another trucking school and the owner tells me as long I have a valid DOT card I am good for 2 years. And I shouldn’t worry about the second physical test that DR failed me. Am I good to go or should I go get another DOT card? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of kings View Post
Hi all, I am in process of obtaining my Cdl. 2 months ago I passed my physical with my doctor and optioned my permit. 3 weeks later I went to a trucking school/ potential employer who failed me on the eye test. I signed up with another trucking school and the owner tells me as long I have a valid DOT card I am good for 2 years. And I shouldn’t worry about the second physical test that DR failed me. Am I good to go or should I go get another DOT card? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Do/did you have eye problems? The "my doctor" thing can get people into trouble, they tend to be a bit biased and try to make their "customers" happy. Eye problems are a deal breaker for CDL. Color vision, depth perception etc. Some states will have waivers and some states do not. The problem with a pass fail is that the fail overrides the pass. Doctor shopping is a real problem and the industry / DOT is on to them. I would work on whatever the vision issue is and either get it corrected or apply for a waiver.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Thank you so much for your fast response... so I have 20/20 vision on my right eye and 20/60 on my left eye without the corrective lenses. Corrective lenses bring my vision to 20/40 on the left eye, I don’t like wearing glasses at all and I am very Clumsy with contact lenses. So I was trying to avoid wearing glasses since both of my eye are 20/20 together. Trucking school who failed me on the eye test told me that I have to go see a eye doctor and have them certify that my eyes are ok with glasses. So my question now is if I go and get glasses and see the first doc with glasses And get a new medical card with corrective lenses I be ok? Will the new pass card over the fail card? ... or should I take the new trucking school words where he is telling me I be ok with my first dot card and don’t worry about it at all... because this new trucking school is telling me I shouldn’t worry at all since I have a valid passed dot card in my hands already and I am good for 2 years!?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't think that 20/60 should've failed you, thou I don't know that for sure. My eyesight in the left eye is 20/200 but is corrected with glasses and I do wear them all the time. As long as you have a card then simply put you have a card so you're employable.( as long as the card is from a certified DOT Dr.)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for your fast response... so I have 20/20 vision on my right eye and 20/60 on my left eye without the corrective lenses. Corrective lenses bring my vision to 20/40 on the left eye, I don’t like wearing glasses at all and I am very Clumsy with contact lenses. So I was trying to avoid wearing glasses since both of my eye are 20/20 together. Trucking school who failed me on the eye test told me that I have to go see a eye doctor and have them certify that my eyes are ok with glasses. So my question now is if I go and get glasses and see the first doc with glasses And get a new medical card with corrective lenses I be ok? Will the new pass card over the fail card? ... or should I take the new trucking school words where he is telling me I be ok with my first dot card and don’t worry about it at all... because this new trucking school is telling me I shouldn’t worry at all since I have a valid passed dot card in my hands already and I am good for 2 years!?
The worry here is that if something BAD happens during some sort of accident review and the lawyers do a not too deep background investigation (there is a lot of money in wrongful death/dismemberment lawsuits) and find that you "doctor shopped" to get your card.. you and any company that hires you just lost millions of dollars.. This is of course worst case.. but is is that bad wearing glasses and being legal?
Old 09-08-2018, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Went and got new glasses today and a form from dmv that eye dr filed out certifying that I am ok with glasses. Went back to my original dot doctor and he updated my medical card with must have corrective lenses and marked my first medical card and he also updated the FMCSA. I should be good now right?
Old 09-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Went and got new glasses today and a form from dmv that eye dr filed out certifying that I am ok with glasses. Went back to my original dot doctor and he updated my medical card with must have corrective lenses and marked my first medical card and he also updated the FMCSA. I should be good now right?
Completely OK...
Old 09-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Completely OK...
Thank you so much for quick response...I was kind of Paranoid, got 3 kids and a awesome wife to feed and take care of, I just wanted to make sure. Again, I appreciate the time y’all have taken to answer my questions. God bless!