View Poll Results: How can I get employment with a trucking company in this situation?
Experience needed please 0 0%
Can I get your help? 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2018, 03:43 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Dui

I am sure you guys here about this all of the time. I recently got my class A CDL (Nov of 2017) with the following endorsements, Airbrakes, Doubles/Triples, Tanker, Hazmat. Two years ago before I got my CDL I got a DUI in my personal vehicle. Total in my life I have had two DUI's, one in 1997 when I was 17 and one in 2015. The other kicker here is my license has been suspended three times and revoked once. My license was suspended twice for a failure to appear. The third time was for the DUI back in 1997. In 2010 my license was suspended for failure to provide proof of registration and for failure to provide proof of insurance. In 2015 my license was revoked for a DUI (according to my driving record.) When I am applying for jobs I am up front and honest with potential employers. I tell them about the DUI in 2015, I take them my driving record, DD-214, resume, copy of CDL and CDL certificate. I always get the same two answers. "Our insurance will not cover you because of the DUI and your lack of experience." There biggest argument is always, how is a new comer supposed to get experience if the insurance company will not give them a chance? I have even applied for non truck driving jobs (service technician mechanic) but I ran into the same excuse from the potential employer. They could not employ me because I would be driving company vehicles. I need some help if you please, my wife is getting tired of "excuses" she calls them and may take off here shortly.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

You should've checked around before wasting money on cdl school. Your past actions show potential employers a lack of respect for laws and rules a record of poor judgment and decision making. Your pretty much UN-employable in the transportation industry.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

As stated previously, You should have checked the industry first and then AFTER getting pre-hire letters then obtained the CDL. You have had as many chances to obtain and keep a drivers license and you have no done so. Now someone sold you on the idea that having a CDL would be great. THAT should be criminal.. but it isn't. You have been sold a bill of goods by whomever conned you into this. YES you could get a CDL, there are few to non existent standards to obtain a CDL and there really has never been. The standards for putting the CDL to use is another story. The companies face liability for drivers they hire. Any driver who has issues in their background is a potential timebomb to them. You can scrounge around and try some companies that are purely bottom feeder "last chance" companies.. but they are getting fewer and farther between these days. Try submitting electronic applications and if you get a bite TAKE IT and work and survive until you can get some experience. Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:29 PM
Board Icon

Its all about the insurance companies. My old company would not allow certain people to operate equipment, because the insurance company told them those people were too much of a liability even with machinery that wasn't even on the road. They weren't allowed to even get on the equipment to just sit.

Your toast in most jobs, try retail
Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

He'd be a good line 5 driver.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
He'd be a good line 5 driver.
Maybe he should contact Golfhobo and inquire about an apprenticeship.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member

McDonalds is always hiring
Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
McDonalds is always hiring
$15 an hour would've sounded real good back when the kids were little!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe3rd View Post
I am sure you guys here about this all of the time. I recently got my class A CDL (Nov of 2017) with the following endorsements, Airbrakes, Doubles/Triples, Tanker, Hazmat. Two years ago before I got my CDL I got a DUI in my personal vehicle. Total in my life I have had two DUI's, one in 1997 when I was 17 and one in 2015. The other kicker here is my license has been suspended three times and revoked once. My license was suspended twice for a failure to appear. The third time was for the DUI back in 1997. In 2010 my license was suspended for failure to provide proof of registration and for failure to provide proof of insurance. In 2015 my license was revoked for a DUI (according to my driving record.) When I am applying for jobs I am up front and honest with potential employers. I tell them about the DUI in 2015, I take them my driving record, DD-214, resume, copy of CDL and CDL certificate. I always get the same two answers. "Our insurance will not cover you because of the DUI and your lack of experience." There biggest argument is always, how is a new comer supposed to get experience if the insurance company will not give them a chance? I have even applied for non truck driving jobs (service technician mechanic) but I ran into the same excuse from the potential employer. They could not employ me because I would be driving company vehicles. I need some help if you please, my wife is getting tired of "excuses" she calls them and may take off here shortly.
All the suspensions, revoking, and 2 DUIs... I dunno man. It's just a little too much.

Your best chance is to find one of those very desperate companies that pay shit. That way you get experience.