Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List
floored, Roadhog, Windwalker, yoopr

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I Got my CDL just to move my family across 4 states - Crazy?

I live in Illinois, and Illinois is flat out too expensive to live in anymore.

Moving is expensive, too. Allied want 12k to move me. PODS are not an economical option, as I'd need 6 of them..

ABF U-Pack only has 28-foot trailers, and I'd need 2 of them @ $3200 ea = $6400

My total bill with the following Semi-Rental-Move-Myself-Plan is $3977.50 all-in. (CDL Application, Truck and trailer rental, mileage, DOT physical, Practice costs, road test costs, 363 gallons of diesel)

BUT, I HAVE to leave Illinois, or I fear I'll never get out. Got a wife and two kids, and the kids are in 5th and 6th grade, so its now or in 5 years, and by then I'll be older and more cranky about life..

I work for myself in computer consulting, and have good business financials that allowed me to establish a credit account with Ryder (Commercial), and I have the Penske Owner/Operator packet, but Penske requires you to have your own Semi insurance policy.
Semi insurance from Progressive, paid on an annual policy, would cost around $650/mo, and is cancel-able anytime., but ties up some cash. So Penske is a worse-case option.

Rental prices for both Penske and Ryder are around $1000/wk for the tractor + .15/mile, and $500/wk + .05/mile. I figure I'd only need a week rental...

I'll rent a D/A Sleeper, and a 53-foot trailer. (or 48 when I get closer to final load calculations)

I've rented a 26-foot straight truck from Penske in 2003 from Chicago to Virginia, and a couple of U-Hauls before that.

I have my Class A Air CLP, and am taking my road test in a manual transmission next Monday, and I expect to pass.

I have completed 5 hours of driving, parking, and other skills through various means at a total cost of $300 so far. I have driven a 53-foot trailer hooked up to a D/A 10-speed around a gravel pit for 2 hours, and spent 3 hours driving, backing, and parking in an old 6-speed syncro Coke daytruck with a 28-foot dry box.

My load is household goods and a properly blocked and braced 99 Lincoln Town car (maybe), and will probably not exceed 5 tons.

I've slid the tandems, hooked and unhooked trailers, researched scaling, and the Bridge law.

I got my Medical Cert signed off on today.

I've watched over 12 hours (ad-nauseum)
Youtube video of Semi wrecks,
good drivers,
bad drivers,
the full 30-minute Texas Road test,
what to do if you have a steer/drive/tandem blowout,
how to make right-hand turns, left-hand turns,
what lane to be in when turning,
semi-driver gets mugged at rest stop
videos about setting up for turns, b
locking the right lane,
jug handles, buttonhooks,
completing and keeping logs, 24 hour resets, 34-hour resets, 11 hours, 14 hours,
US 60 hour 7 day week cycles, 30 minute rest breaks,
fuel and road tax info (IFTA)

I've read and researched articles from thetruckersreport and other to get more of a feel for driving.

I've ordered my DOT approved "Not For Hire" magnetic stickers.

I have a dash cam, scanner, CB, smartphone, Baofeng BF-F8HP, and tablet.

I've downloaded the Keep Truckin app for logging, and Sygic truck (paid), and use them when driving in the car.

My wife says I'm crazy, I think it would be an adventure. I want to take my 11-year old on the trip with me.
My biggest fear is dealing with turns in that 53-foot, and clearance issues.

My route will be 1020 miles from Rockford, Illinois to Eastern Colorado Springs, and 1020 back to return the truck and trailer - departing first week of June, 2018.

I'll take the "house" to Colorado with my 11-year old.

While I'm driving, my wife and daughter will stay with friends in IL.

When I return to IL, I'll return the truck and trailer, then all of us will drive to Colorado in the family vehicle.

Am I missing anything?

Any newbie advice y'all can give, or am I in way over my head.

Much Appreciated,

-Just a guy who does not want to be taxed to death in Illinois.

Last edited by DanTheMan2; 09-14-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Have you considered selling most of your things and renting a truck from Uhaul? It seems to me that you are going to a lot of trouble to only use your CDL for moving your family.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Senior Board Member

You've certainly done a lot of research and seem to have thought of most everything but I still think your nuts. I've thought of moving out of NY many times and have never considered renting a big truck to do it. I'd have a yard sale and list a bunch o stuff on fleabay either that or just have an estate style auction and be done with, that way you only move clothes and other personal items.
But way ask now? Sounds like your already committed.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan2 View Post

My wife says I'm crazy, ...
She would know you best.
Colorado does seem to attract crazy people, so maybe this will work out somehow. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Looking for someone to train me

Got my permit and dot card willing to pay for lessons. From the central fla area. Contact me at [email protected]