User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New to driving. Road test soon

hey guys. New here just a few questions. I work for the railroad so I got my B so I could jump in seniority to get a better job. Well they changed stuff and now if I wanna keep my spot I need an
"A restricted"? I just need to be able to drive dump truck and 28ft airbrake trailer. That's what I've been practicing on and will take the test in.
I got a few questions. On the truck with the dual tires. Is there a special name for that kind of rim? Or the space between the tires.? I remember when I got my B the instructor said I should know it and a yr later I forgot.
2nd the book says making a left turn into a 2 lane rd u should take the inside lane then make ur way to the right. Is that even with a trailer? Seems like you couldn't cut it to that lane without going into oncoming traffic lane. Idk maybe bc I'm new to this
I didn't have to go under a bridge for my B but I know I will for the A bc of the route I know they will take me on. If there if a bridge that's not labeled is there a correct way to tell them u know the truck will be ok if they ask?
Thanks for the help sorry if these are stupid questions.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbay3 View Post
On the truck with the dual tires. Is there a special name for that kind of rim? Or the space between the tires.? I remember when I got my B the instructor said I should know it and a yr later I forgot.
There are basically two types of wheels to worry about Bud Wheels (steei and or aluminum wheels are more or less like the bud wheel) and the Dayton Wheels. The Dayton wheels look similar to a five star mag wheel. Dayton wheels have tires and wheel "assemblies" that slide onto the center hub. First a wheel assembly and then a spacer (this is what you are checking for damage( and then the other wheel is slid on the hub and everything is tightened up with bolts and "cleats". Lots of parts and lots to go wrong.

Dayton or Budd? The eternal question. |

Quote:
2nd the book says making a left turn into a 2 lane rd u should take the inside lane then make ur way to the right. Is that even with a trailer? Seems like you couldn't cut it to that lane without going into oncoming traffic lane. Idk maybe bc I'm new to this
In mutl-lane roads you must start and FINISH the turn into the same lane.. No matter how many lanes you have to use to completed the turn. So if you are making a right turn onto a multi lane road.. You have to start the turn from the right lane (closest to the curb), make the turn (staying off the curb of course) and then FINISH the turn in the right lane or closest lane to the curb. The left turns is where people screw up the most.. If you are making a left, you start the turn in the left late (left turn lane or the left lane of a multi-lane road) then complete the turn into the left lane or lane closest to you.. now as soon as you get the truck and trailer straightened up in the left lane (and about the time you want to start up shifting) get you right turn signal on and mention what you are doing.. when it is clear, move to the right lane.. the video is pretty good.. they handle multiple lanes.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=...iler&kpvalbx=1

Quote:
I didn't have to go under a bridge for my B but I know I will for the A bc of the route I know they will take me on. If there if a bridge that's not labeled is there a correct way to tell them u know the truck will be ok if they ask?
Thanks for the help sorry if these are stupid questions.
Two words, DESCRIPTIVE DRIVING. Tell the examiner what you are doing and what you are seeing if its important and even it its not that important! Speed zones, school zones, merge signs, height signs, lane signs even bad drivers or hazards ahead and to the sides. You should start talking and not stop talking till your done. If you screw something up, just keep moving forward and forget about it... people who carry a mistake all the way through the test tend to do poorly on the whole test.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:23 AM
Board Icon

What Fozzy said!

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine! My inspector would ask what a sign said after we passed it. Quite difficult in an area where there were about 50 signs..........ok, which sign are you asking about because one said buy one get one free but I don't think your looking for that answer!