User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any local (Ontario Canada) drivers that offer backing skills training?

Hello,

I was very annoyed by the lack of training given by the course I took last summer specifically little to no attention on backing skills. So now I'm "out there" and feeling like a complete retard trying to ally dock in some pretty tight area's. Some day's are pretty good, but usually most day's are infuriating, embarrassing and stressfull trying to back into some tight spots...yeah I'm that guy everyone is waiting on lol. I did drive tanker for 3-4 months and did fine but only because you don't need to be nearly as precise with those for off loading situations. Reefer's are proving to be a whole other animal

I feel I'm doing everything right re: set-up but the trailer just seems to have a mind of it's own. I really start to think it's issues with the truck itself!! Seems to have very little turn radius and it can be a royal PIA trying to get the tractor back under to square up the trailer into the "hole", seems to need a ton of room to swing and/or to affect the direction of the trailer.

I'm driving a 1999 385 Peterbilt...are some trucks just harder to back than other's??

Anyhow...just wondering if anyone out there would be willing to offer some kind of focused training for some extra $$ on the side with me to help make my life a little less of a frustrating experience in the yard.

Thank's everyone...
Old 07-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

"I'm driving a 1999 385 Peterbilt...are some trucks just harder to back than other's??" Yes some are harder. I started out in the years when power steering was an option and long wheel base and even longer hoods were common and you should've seen me(120 Lbs) struggle with them.
Not a lot you're going to be able to do about the truck itself, but what you can do is relax and calm down. It kinda sounds like you're being your worst enemy. Practice your setup and and find what works. Anything and everything changes the way your truck enters the space from how fast you're moving and and how quickly you turn the wheel to where your tandems are set. Speaking of tandems where are they set? Moving them forward changes the swing dramatically and cause a lot of problems like overhang swing and don't forget where the pesky right front trailer corner is! Counting or marking the slide holes and sliding the tandems all the way back makes life a lot easier, yeah your trailer seems longer but you can turn it on a dime and just steer it into the hole.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

When I started I used a plastic bottle to help me. Sit the bottle in front of the dock where you need to cut the trailer. When you start backing cut the trailer around the bottle and it goes right in the hole. If you miss the bottle you know you are going to miss the hole and you can pull up and start over. At night I use a flashlight in dark docks.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
When I started I used a plastic bottle to help me. Sit the bottle in front of the dock where you need to cut the trailer. When you start backing cut the trailer around the bottle and it goes right in the hole. If you miss the bottle you know you are going to miss the hole and you can pull up and start over. At night I use a flashlight in dark docks.
Good idea, I've also been keeping my eye out for a small orange cone but I guess anything would work as a point of reference to aim for. I do find it easier if there are painted yellow lines or even a trailer next to where I need to be.

I did get a chance to talk to one of the other drivers who used to run the truck I'm in now. He's a 20 yr veteran and he did say that truck is a PIA to back due to it's lack of steering angle and not easy to get squared up under the trailer...it need's alot of room or several pull up's.

Ah well...so far I haven't hit anyone, and I've managed to "get it done" but it can get frustrating especially when I know other's are waiting to get by me.

Thank's for the tip...