User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just got my tankers and some questions

I sincerely apologize if this is the wrong forum to post but this seemed like the most likely place to do it. On to the question.

I've recently obtained my Tankers endorsement in a chance to get a local driving job. I have no prior experience in pulling a tanker at all. I drove van for little over three and half years. My current job requires a CDL, but I'm only in the truck maybe two hours outta the day, rest is spent on a fork lift. So this offer to drive local and make $1.50 more an hour comes along. I jump at the chance to get before anyone else does. Make a long story short, I'm about to start but things have changed since I talked to the head dispatcher. Basically promised me things and didn't deliver. I'm not going to be local, I'll be over the road most of the time (which I don't want), and when I'm local it'll be fifty cents more than I'm making now.
Plus they put me under a load before I had even left my job. Pulling a smooth bore tank and I have to clean out someone else's truck in order for me to drive it. I expected a bit of training pulling tankers, like how to unload it, tricks of the trade from a more experienced driver, etc.. On top of that, I'd have to give up a side job I do three days a week and still home every night. I just like to have some thoughts from more experienced truckers.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like they saw you coming and decided to take advantage of the situation. It sucks that your now in this situation but I doubt it will get better, most likely it will get worse. First off you have the lie about local/OTR then the pay discrepancy and then topped off with cleaning out the truck BEFORE you move into it! You can't trust them at all . I wouldn't even clean that truck let alone pull a load, they very well might send you out on a "short" trip and then take 2 weeks to get you home. Don't walk RUN!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 06-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Rookie

thaks for your reply and I have told the company I'm not gonna go with them. Thankfully, I called my supervisor and he says that I can come back at the same pay. Again thanks for the answer. Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was shady. I've had my fair share of dealing with shade tree companies. They never end well.