User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Gear advice for new truckers

Hi,

I'm writing an article about gear for new truckers and I'm looking for advice from experienced drivers. What gear would you recommend a new driver buy for the cab and why? I'm interested in anything from electronics to appliances, anything that makes the job easier or more comfortable. What would you recommend they invest in?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would carry enough clothes to last a couple of weeks along with basic toiletry items. A bag to take a change for the showers that is large enough for your toiletries and change of clothes. Linens for your bunk and one or more pillows. A CB is rarely used on the road these days, but some shippers use them to contact drivers. You can get an inexpensive one for around $100. You can save quite a bit of money if you eat some of your meals out of the truck. An electric cooler/refrigerator that plugs into a cigarette lighter costs around $100 to $120. Some drivers will cook in their trucks. I would not spend much more than what I have listed until you see what you may want to keep in the truck. However, one other thing that I would recommend is basic tools that you can do minor repairs, such as changing a light or belt. Some carriers don't want drivers to do anything to their equipment, but it can get you back on the road much more quickly if you can change a light or belt without having to wait several hours to get in a shop. A few days ago I saved myself a service call and at least $300 by being able to do a simple repair in a rest area myself.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Simple but sometimes overlooked a quality flashlight with spare batteries gloves (at least 2 pr) a headlamp for hands free work in the dark (& spare batteries) a reflective vest can be a real life saver!
I haven't used a cb in years but it could really help out a new driver for asking directions ectra.
A good 3 season sleeping bag, mines just lays there on top of my mattress as extra padding until the night I'm broke down with no heat and it's -10 degrees outside.
can't really think of much more "gear", tons of other stuff like bungie's lightweight straps, trailer airline spring, that list goes on and on andon.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Tags
advice, cab, equipment, gear, new driver