User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Been Out Of Trucking For 6 Years

I Went To A Trucking School In Paduka Ky Got A CDL And Was Hired By Star Transportation In Morton ILL.Drove For Them For 2 Years And They Payed For MY Schooling,No Tickets Great Driving Record.I Left Because I Was Driving Less And Less Miles.Took Another Job Not In Trucking And Have Been There Ever Since.I Would Now Like To Get Back Into Trucking Since My Kids Are Grown And All Moved On.I Still Have My CDL And Current Medical Card.Was Looking For Some In Put As To How To Go About Getting Hired Again.I Live In Nc.Hope Someone Can Point Me In The Right Direction Thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 02:22 AM
Board Icon

Well, see if you can get a copy of your DAC report. See what Star may have reported on you and if you see something not true, dispute it. That report can really hurt you getting back in. Your also looking at a refresher course more than likely with any company. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Like Ford said "Your also looking at a refresher course ", you may find someone willing to take a chance on you without it, but that's a BIG IF! Most companies hiring practices are largely controlled by their insurance carrier and if they say recent experience that's just what they get. Check around with local community collages and see if they offer a short course, but before committing $$ to one I'd put in a few job apps and talk to a recruiter to find out exactly what they want.
I was out of a truck for aprox 2 years and had to go out with a trainer for a minimum of 3 weeks.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you have been out of a truck for six years, it will be difficult to find a carrier who will hire you without having to go through a refresher course. You might talk with your former school and see if they might help. Another option would be to find a small carrier that will allow you to get your feet wet again. The difficulty is with insurance. Most carriers are limited in whom they can hire due to insurance requirements. Most will require at least 1-2 years experience within the last 3 years. As a side note, insurance companies typically only look at how long you have had your CDL. If you have held one for at least that long with no dings on your MVR, then it will be easier to get approved by the insurance company. One other option might be to go with one of the training carriers, such as Swift, Roehl, Millis, etc., Since you still have a current CDL, they might be willing to put you with a trainer for a short time before turning you loose in your own truck. Or, you might find a carrier who will put you in a team environment. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

My first recommendation is always to check LTL outfits first. They can offer you a good transition from your current/previous job to eventually getting back to driving. Some of those will turn you down for lack of recent experience like everyone else, but others will train you to run a forklift at first, make you a combo driver, yard dog driver/spotter or similar. If you can get in with one of those, you can make really good money and benefits and end up doing line haul for 60-90k/year or do local P&D.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Rookie

Try these:
Paschall Truck Lines - Murray,KY
Freymiller
Western Express
Transport America

Ignore anything about recent experience and apply anyway.Personally, I think Freymiller is best of those.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Like Ford said "Your also looking at a refresher course ", you may find someone willing to take a chance on you without it, but that's a BIG IF! Most companies hiring practices are largely controlled by their insurance carrier and if they say recent experience that's just what they get. Check around with local community collages and see if they offer a short course, but before committing $$ to one I'd put in a few job apps and talk to a recruiter to find out exactly what they want.
I was out of a truck for aprox 2 years and had to go out with a trainer for a minimum of 3 weeks.
Any luck yet?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesjr55 View Post
I Went To A Trucking School In Paduka Ky Got A CDL And Was Hired By Star Transportation In Morton ILL.Drove For Them For 2 Years And They Payed For MY Schooling,No Tickets Great Driving Record.I Left Because I Was Driving Less And Less Miles.Took Another Job Not In Trucking And Have Been There Ever Since.I Would Now Like To Get Back Into Trucking Since My Kids Are Grown And All Moved On.I Still Have My CDL And Current Medical Card.Was Looking For Some In Put As To How To Go About Getting Hired Again.I Live In Nc.Hope Someone Can Point Me In The Right Direction Thanks
Any luck yet?