User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2016, 04:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Aspiring Truck Driver Seeking Advice

Hey everyone,

I recently decided to shift careers into Truck driving and am currently working in retail low-end management for Staples. I have plenty of experience with dock work and have worked for a couple years as a dockworker for FedEx Freight in the past. As i am in retail management i don't have a TON of time to do the proper research that i should be doing into the truck driving schools around here (Las Vegas, NV) nor the companies that those schools source new drivers to. From what I've researched so far it seems like there are quite a few companies out there like Swift and (possibly) Werner that are rather predatory trucking companies that either don't come through on promises made to new-hires and/or force you into a contract to work for them and more or less end up shafting you big-time. This is exactly what i'd like to avoid, and would love to work for a company with a good reputation like FedEx Freight who was a fantastic company when i worked for them.

What i would like to know from all you truckers out there, experienced and newbies alike, is what is your impression/opinions on truck driving schools? So far I've interviewed with AIT(American Institute of Trucking) and am going to go check out Southwest Truck Driver Training on Monday. As well, i'd love to hear some input on good, quality companies to try to work for right out of school, not to mention terrible companies to avoid at all costs, but realistically even if i have to put in my time to get hours on the road at a bad company as long as i can make more than my current salary of only about $1400 a month i'd be happy doing that for a year.

Thanks everybody!
Hope to be out on the road with ya'll soon!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Senior Board Member

What company to work for is kinda like asking what size shoes should I wear, there all different. As far as schools go make sure whatever one you pick is PTDI certified as that will open a few more (possibly better) doors for you. If you pay for the school yourself you shouldn't have to sign a contract with any company, they will send you out with a trainer for real world OTR experience. Some companies will also offer tuition reimbursement but don't let that blind you to other factors! $1400 A MONTH??? My god how do you live on that? Starting out for just about any OTR company you should make about twice that a month and about 3x that in a few months. Crete/Shaffer pays something like .41 cpm for new drivers (i think) multiply that times 2800 miles a week and that comes to $1148 a week. Of course that assumes you do 2800 a week.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-05-2016, 03:22 AM
Board Icon

Find a company and let them send you to a school if you can IMO. No money out of your pocket up front! Gotta start somewhere and there are worse than Swift or Werner out there. Stay away from CR England at all costs. Stay away from the Lease programs, aka Fleece program.

I was talking with a FedEx guy who does local and regional runs back in September, he said they have a waiting list for most all of the US. They apparently take care of their drivers very well so unless one retires or quits or gets fired, you out of luck. Not looking to burst your bubble on them, you may have an in road from previously working for them on the dock!