User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Rules to find the right fit.

So I'm 30 years in this driving career and the same questions are posted over and over "what company should I work for?" Here's my take.
First: YOU. Find out what you enjoy doing in this industry and where are your priorities. No matter the company if you don't enjoy the slow pace and challenges of pulling oversize there is not a company out there that will "fit". I'm a long haul trucker, ill go anywhere in North America at anytime and still enjoy the tall miles...
Second: THE COMPANY. I'm of the opinion that XL companies (2000+ trucks) are bad. You'll be subject to a lot of scrutiny and little reward. There will be a large support staff whose daily job it is to justify theirs at your expense. Large companies have shareholders who want to see a return on their investment, at your expense. Large fleets are governed at very slow speeds to maximize fuel saving again at your expense to be productive. Last but not least is the company equipment. Consider your safety driving a worn out Schneider tractor pulling a 3 million mile spring ride trailer from the eighties. Does the company have any Macks? Do not apply! It is the single most red flag that your at the very bottom of their list of priorities.
Third: Try to remain objective. Drivers are notorious complainers that somehow they are singled out and treated unfairly. If you find a company who's work you enjoy and compensates you fairly all while your willing to do what it takes, then, and only then will it be a fit.
Personally I will likely never pull any doubles or triples at (almost) any money but there are plenty who would do little else. Good for them. I enjoy pulling my tanker from coast to coast where some have abandoned the truck on the first trip out. Find your niche and be happy. God speed.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Best post I've seen in a while, on any industry website. Nice work.

Tags
happy, jb hunt, schneider, us express, what company