User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dash cams, GPS and..

I am sure this has been covered here but doing a search I could not find a thread where this was actually the topic. So that being said what is the brand of dash cam, GPS unit and other necessities that everyone uses or recommends.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I really don't have either, but then again I don't even have a cb in my current truck! Well that's not quite true, I do have a cb it's somewhere in one of the rear compartments I never got around to making a mount for the antenna.
At one time I did buy a dash cam from Pilot and used it for a few months but the battery charger/power cord burned up so it's back there with the cb. If I was running the road I would DEFINITELY buy a TRUCK GPS, sorry I can't recommend a brand.
Good luck with Celadon!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Board Icon

Are you driving a company truck or your own? Might want to check with Celadon, they may buy a camera and install it for you vs buying your own and installing it on company equipment. Ask them first if they allow cameras.

As for GPS, they have nearly become a thing of the past with smartphones. Google maps is decent for giving you an idea of where your going. You can use their street view function in a lot of areas to see what things look like and or if it's an intersection with no left turns or such. I use it a lot to give me an idea vs driving blind.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Rookie

Lol thanks for the help Repete, a CB is pretty much the last thing to get on our list,so far everyone at Celadon seems okay
I figure we will end up with one of the Rand Mcnallys since they make the best maps.

Mr.Ford95 it will be a company truck, didn't even think of asking first if they will provide or even allow the cameras. I had planned on usingGoogle maps to see what the last couple of miles in to the drop place looks like. I figured using it in satellite view with street view would give a good idea of the street lay out and where parking is.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you drive a truck you really should have a CB. Some shippers use the CB to call you to load or deliver. You can buy an inexpensive CB for around $50. It can also be used to alert you to heavy congestion, wrecks, etc.,
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Ahh good point there GMAN, that is the reason we ask questions here, to find out what we don't know, we don't know lol