User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbed'er turned dry van hauler having trouble with alley docks

Hi, I've got 2 years experience pulling flatbed (steel) and today started a new job that pays better except now I'm pulling dry van and haven't since CDL school. Never really had issues backing up until now and I've done some pretty crazy stuff with the flatbed since we're in SoCal and deal with lots of traffic and tight spots. I've been having a little trouble with alley docking as it seems I never have enough room even though I know that I do. I get the trailer at the beginning of the hole and get stuck because I'm too close to the inside trailer next to the hole. I'm more of a photographic driver rather than an instinctive one so I guess I just need to figure out how to properly set up and achieve the particular 'picture' I'm looking for while aiming for the hole. When backing the flatbed trailers I always set up certain ways and used reference points and 99% of the time it worked without a fuss. One of the yard dogs gave me some help and explained that I need to aim my inner tandems just past the line so I don't hit the can on the inside while chasing the trailer to straighten out. I officially begin driving with a trainer tomorrow so I'll see what he says. Any pointers? Geez, two years later and I feel like a damn student again... lol but hey I'm not afraid to ask for advice when I know I need it.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Senior Board Member

It'll come back to ya, in the mean time don't be afraid to slide those tandems all the way back. That makes it real easy to just steer it into the hole.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 10-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It will just take a little practice. I pulled a van last year for the first time in many years. I took a van from Nashville to Houston and then back to Nashville. I have pulled open deck for many years. It was very odd getting under a box trailer. It is easier to aim your trailer when the tandems are all the way to the back. If it is really tight, pulling them all the way forward might make it easier to maneuver into a tight spot.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=GMAN;535581 It was very odd getting under a box trailer. .[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of when my truck was in the shop for a week and the only loaner was a daycab, I'd never driven one before and bobtailed 250mi to where my trl was and hooked it and went to pull out and turn right out of the dock. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted the front of the trailer swing around and I spiked the brakes not knowing what was happening. I thought the fifth wheel wasn't locked or high hooked and I was losing it! Turned out it was just a different view of the same old thing. By the way day cabs SUCK! No where to nap, no room for my stuff, and I had to stop for fuel TWICE a night! Never again!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 10-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The first truck that I owned did not have a sleeper. I hauled cars at the time. I had to sleep across the front seats. There is nothing like sharing the seat with a gear shift.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Ever have to stay at Love's truck stop off hwy 5 in Port of Tacoma?
Sure will test your backing skills there.
Some spots you actually have to wiggle your trailer in to fit.