User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default For those that pretty much LIVE in their truck (company or o/o) - What to buy

So I have about six months or so before I enter this new career, so right now I am beginning to purchase things that I know I'll need. When I enter the trucking career, I plan on pretty much living on the road with my K9. So, for those of you that are out there, would like your input on a "shopping list", include gadgets, tools, good-to-haves and nice-to-haves. Also any recommended websites to buy the stuff from, already an Amazon Prime member (gotta love the free shipping).

~scott
Old 09-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

An electric cooler/ refrigerator is nice to have in the truck. You can buy them from about $100-250 that plug into a cigarette outlet. There are some that can use an inverter. An inverter can come in handy for running things such as your computer or other accessories. I only use a 400 watt that plugs into an outlet. If you need something more than you will want to buy one that connects directly to your batteries. Some carriers restrict the type of inverters they will allow in their trucks. If you are a coffee drinker, you might consider a coffee maker and you could also buy a small toaster oven or microwave oven, but those will need a larger inverter. I have had very good luck with Cobra inverters. They last for years. You can find them at most truck stops and are priced as well as I have seen them anywhere else. Truckstops also sell the cooler/refrigerators. Several years ago I bought an electric cup that I could use to make instant coffee or warm soup. I usually don't use it because it takes longer to heat up than I would prefer. I did buy it for $1 at Dollar General. I bought my inverter at TA, I believe. I tried another brand of inverter, but it only lasted me a year, so I went back to Cobra. You can also buy inverters at most sporting goods stores, such as Bass Pro or may find them at Walmart. I know Walmart also has some electric coolers, but I would check at some of the truck stops. They sometimes discount them. If you save your points back from your loyalty card, you could use them to buy a cooler or inverter at your brand of truck stop. I have not checked prices at Amazon. The advantage of buying at a truck stop or Walmart is that you can more quickly exchange it for another should you have a problem with it.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

When I was running the road I used a microwave quite a bit to warm stuff, but actual cooking I used either a crock pot or a small one burner propane stove. I got around the company's restriction on inverters by not having it permanently hooked up. Instead I had the 1500 watt inverter wired to some cut down jumper cables and when I needed to use it I would open the side box and attach the jumper cable ends to the trucks jump terminals. Other things I'd want is a truck specific GPS, and a laptop.
As a side note some companies allow pets and some don't, make sure your pet meet any restrictions before orientation.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Rookie

Thanks Gman & repete -

GMAN I did a search on Amazon for Cobra converters: Amazon.com: cobra inverter - Cobra: Automotive; which would you get. Definitely plan on having a laptop, I also have a netbook that I use for streaming movies from my 2TB NAS drive enclosure (plan on increasing it with more movies and shows) that way I don't have to worry about data issues with my mobile provider.

repete - I found 8 companies so far that allow pets, as you mentioned some have weight and breed restrictions. One of the eight says they don't have a breed nor weight restriction (Werner) and another only has a breed (no pitbulls), when I talked to recruiter I told her mine is a Staffordshire-Pit mix of which I have DNA documentation, and she said that my K-9 buddy would be ok. He is totally a co-driver and when we go on long road trips, if I say "There is a Semi Nephi" he'll start giving a whining bark so I know he'll be great in a truck. He doesn't shed much, but he's a dog....I assume they make good seat covers I can put on the passenger seat, right? Also thinking of putting down some carpet that I can easily take out and clean when needed, suggestions?

Keep the suggestions coming cause like I mentioned I want to take advantage of time I have to acquire necessities now while I have the ability.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Rookie

I'll say this: A clean truck on the inside make for a happy driver and does boost your moral. There will be days where you're running freight markets that are just slow for freight. There may be other days where you're bouncing up and down the east coast and you're a bit tired of it. In that case, a polite call to your dispatcher to ask if he/she can route you west and most likely you'll get it. But I digress. I buy rugs from Walmart that are around $3-$5 and put in my truck. I use scrap carpet on the driver side that will trashed during the winter and nicer rugs in the rest of the cab. I always take my shoes off in the driver seat before going back into the sleeper. As they saying goes, cleanliness is next to godliness. A nice Black & Decker car vacuum that'll plug into an inverter will be powerful enough to clean up small messes. I also keep a hand broom and dust pan to sweep the driver side out. If you run reefer, chances are you'll spend some time at meat plants that usually have gravel lots that turn into mud pits after it rains. It's impossible not to track that crap into the truck. Keep it localized on the driver side. When it drys, sweep it out. I also keep a lot of Windex and paper towels. There are generic brands of Windex you can buy at a premium at a truck stop but it just isn't the same. If you get a GPS, don't live by the GPS. Spend the money and get a nice spiral bound Motor Carrier's Atlas. You'll want to bounce that off the directions that GPS gives you so you don't end up on a road you're not supposed to be. I also use Google Maps in satellite view on my phone to get an actual view of the place I'm delivering to, the road getting to the place from the interstate and referencing that to the GPS to see if it's correct and then checking the atlas.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Speaking of a atlas, one thing I do is highlight my routes I run. If the road was good for a truck I highlight it in green and if the road was bad I highlight it in red.

When I get a load I look at the atlas and plan my route and avoid roads I have highlighted it red. I would then compare the route to the route my GPS was giving me.

When I ran long haul I use to have some really good meals. I carried a propane bbq grill, microwave, toaster oven, crock pot, electric skillet. A lunch box oven is also handy for quick lunches. I never ate at a truck stop or fast food.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Rookie

I guess you don't have an AC power meter handy, or even an ammeter, but you're probably taking too big a starting current when the compressor starts. On your house mains a 20 amp line will run 135% of rated current for a few seconds so it can start, but your inverter might not be as forgiving. If the line voltage sags so that the compressor doesn't start, it will draw starting current until something gives. Try a space heater to see if the inverter will run into a resistive load.