User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving over the speed limit

When I was in training my trainer said that there is a cushion of 5 mph over the speed limit. That you will not get a ticket in a 55mph zone of you are going 60. I think this is BS. Is my trainer right?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
When I was in training my trainer said that there is a cushion of 5 mph over the speed limit. That you will not get a ticket in a 55mph zone of you are going 60. I think this is BS. Is my trainer right?
In certain states there can be an unofficial cushion of up to 5mph over the top speed zone for trucks. Again, it is unofficial and very arbitrary as to it's existence and enforcement.

If your goal is to obey the law, don't go over the posted speed limit.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Board Icon

BS, Scoe is correct. It all depends on where you are or the cops mood that day, its the same for regular 4 wheelers. If the cop feels like being a jerk or has had a bad day thus far, he's pulling any vehicle 1 mph over the official limit and writing a ticket. DOT will take your logs, input them in a computer and pop out a speeding ticket for you even though you were just 5 over. NY favors that method.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Speeding is just that speeding. With that said I have to admit I do it every night. Been so many times I've blown by a NYS trooper on 17 doing 65 in a 55 zone, thankfully they've never stopped me. If they ever do bust me it'll be my own fault. I think they're waiting for those NYC and NJ drivers that fly down thur there sometimes a 100mph, I clock at least one a week at or near 100 on my Onguard system.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Senior Board Member

There are no guarantees. Generally speaking, and perhaps with the exception of California, LEO's are looking for bigger fish to fry. I was stopped one time in Texas. It was the one and only time I was stopped. The DPS trooper said he had pegged me at 10mph over the limit. That's not what my speedometer was registering. As it turned out, he told me that he was getting ready to enter the Texas DOT certification training program. I think that he just wanted to look at my paperwork. I will say that I was very meticulous about keeping my paperwork in order, and my logbook current. I encourage you to do the same. He was polite, and very professional in his demeanor, and I was courteous to him. Wrote me a warning citation; no fine, no points. Hard to believe that was over a decade ago!!

Last edited by Useless; 09-13-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some states will give drivers more than 5 mph over the posted speed, but you can't count on it. The safest thing to do is not exceed the speed limit. I have a very good friend who received a ticket in Ontario, California for doing 2 mph over the posted speed limit. Like others have noted, it all depends on the state, officer and what type of day they are having at the time. I have been doing about 8-10 mph over the posted speed in California and not had a problem. But, I would not make a habit out of it. I usually stay around or less that the speed limit.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:46 AM
Rookie

The FMCSA does not issue points for speed violations 5 MPH or under. This change went into effect in 2012. See Section 8 of the Safety Measurement System Changes:
https://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/Documents/...lDoc_Final.pdf
When I drove Dole Dedicated during the summer of 2007, i picked up in Salina California, the truck speed limit for California is 55MPH, yet I always had my cruise control set at 62. I passed countless state troopers, some were conducting speed traps, and never did I have one that hassled me. BUT, I also received a B.S. ticket in Louisiana for doing 65 in a 55, in a truck governed at 62. I was empty, on flat level ground, and the state trooper (who had been traveling in the opposite direction) was just looking to hand out tickets. I hired a lawyer, and at a total cost of approximately $500 (for a $120 ticket), it was resolved, and I still maintain a zero CSA score.
Chances are that no matter how meticulous a driver you are, you will get a ticket for something eventually. As unfair as it may be, you don't want to make a situation worse by displaying a bad attitude. It's drivers who argue with and insult the officer who are often charged with multiple violations. Maintain enough money in your bank account, or on a credit card, to hire a lawyer when you do get a ticket. The financial impact of having a CSA score is worse than the price of hiring a lawyer, and it is just the cost of doing business / being a trucker.
Your trainer is right. It's financially beneficial (even if you do eventually have to fight a ticket) to maintain a speed 3 to 5 MPH above the speed limit. Over a years time, that 3 MPH equates to about 150 hours extra driving or off duty time for yourself. (3 MPH x 10 hours a day x 300 days a year / 60 minutes per hour = 150 hours) unless you're paying for the fuel hehehe.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Board Icon

Here is an excerpt from about 15 years ago when I was in court on a window tint violation:

Lady informs the judge she was not speeding, officer states he clocked her at 63 in a 55 and his radar had been check and calibrated on such and such date. Judge looks at the lady and asks how fast she was going, she states 59. He smirks and asks how fast the limit was posted in that area, she answers 55. He says, are your admitting to doing 59 in a 55? She says that is correct. He said, well here's your ticket for 59 in a 55 then because you have admitted to being above the posted limit. She about fainted at the stand!

Its not just your CSA score that could hurt you, your regular driving record can suffer and have your license pulled with too many points. Small towns are looking for revenue, speeding tickets at 1 mph over can go a long ways to helping. Court costs alone can run you $100 in some places, the violation fine might only be $2 but then add in taxes for another $20-30 and its a nice chunck of change in their pockets.