User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default dream career?

Hi y'all. I've been a correctional officer since 1995 and was eligible to retire on May 30th 2015. I'm still working at the prison and am hoping to move from this career to my next one without a break of employment. A few years ago i talked to someone who was a dock worker at ABF freight. Based on what he said i believe i have found my dream career. I applied for ABF earlier this month and will be applying for Yellow this week. He advised me of all the ups and downs of his job. The ups were to many to list. The downs were:

1) it's shift work. There's a new shift starting every few hours.

my feelings on this: I've been working shift work since 1995. I'm used to it, there's no shift I'm to proud to work.

2) until a full time employee builds seniority they'll have bad days off.

My feelings: i had weekdays off for years. No problem here at all.

3) it may be part time/ on call for up to a year. During that year there's no guarantee of employment.

Response: I've been dreaming of putting in for a dock worker position at ABF or Yellow for three years and my wife and i saved enough cash to live on during those lean times.

So i have a few questions, but mostly I'm a sponge and am searching for any advise or thoughts on this job.

Question 1) will i be able to get hired on at ABF or Yellow as a dock worker if i don't have a fork lift certification, cdl A, or any dock/freight experience?

2) what can i do to be a more desirable potential new hire for the position of dock worker at ABF or Yellow?

3) anyone happen to know if ABF or yellow have benefits for part time/ on call dock worker employees?

4) are there any other reputable freight companies that anyone knows of that i could apply with in Albuquerque NM or surrounding areas?

5) i noticed a lot of the job openings say dock worker/ city driver. Should i get my CDL A to get a dock worker position?

I figure if i haven't been hired on as a dock worker by the end off next year I'll get my cdl A and attempt to get a local or city delivery position - anything other than long haul. I don't want to be away from my family for long periods of time. Any advise on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by codytriguy; 06-01-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 06-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Yer going down in the trenches now, eh CO?
I wonder how many of the inmates you will recognize at the docks?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Never worked as a paid dock worker, but from what I understand most are either using that job as a stepping stone to a permanent driving position (takes years in many cases) or just plain losers. I may be wrong! But I think your 'friend' may be overstating the good and understating the bad. Do you really want to risk want you've worked for over the past 20 years on something so iffy? You'd be better off working for Brinks or someone like that with a regular hours and BENEFITS!
BTW, Working a dock is a dream job? I know to each their own but I think your sites are set a little low.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to be a dockworker with those companies, you may want to call them and speak with someone in recruiting. Each company establishes their own hiring policy. Those policies can change from time to time so it would be best to go directly to the horse's mouth, so to speak.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Never worked as a paid dock worker, but from what I understand most are either using that job as a stepping stone to a permanent driving position (takes years in many cases) or just plain losers. I may be wrong! But I think your 'friend' may be overstating the good and understating the bad. Do you really want to risk want you've worked for over the past 20 years on something so iffy? You'd be better off working for Brinks or someone like that with a regular hours and BENEFITS!
BTW, Working a dock is a dream job? I know to each their own but I think your sites are set a little low.
Repeat, what's Brinks?
-I thought ABF had benefits for part time since they are Teamsters. Do they not?
-And I'm very curious why you feel I'd be risking what I'd worked for by becoming a dock worker? What's the risk?

-I'm surprised the dock worker position is held in such low esteem. He makes more than i do and he's been at his job less time. Is it considered a job for losers at all companies even ABF and Yellow?

I don't mind working a job that most people look down on, I'm not a proud man nothing is beneath me. As a matter of a fact I'm probably perfectly suited for a job looked down apon, very few jobs are as hated as correctional officer.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Brinks= an armoured car company, I figure as a CO you probably carry if not oh well you know what they say when you assume

I'm only basing my opinion on what I've observed, and with that in mind working a dock is just not what I would want to do.
I'm a get it done kinda guy, I could never get along with the stereotypical union mindset. No way, no how!
As far a losing what you have I was referring to the 'on call' work schedule so I hopefully will get a check this week.That would never fly with me!
Bennies? no real idea but I kinda doubt you'll get them til you've been there awhile, but there I go assuming again.
Don't let me talk you out of this it's something you really want to do, I just hate to see people make a jump based on someone's word and find out there worse off.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 06-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Rookie

You'd make better money working at a descent gas station then Brinks, trust me. Worst job ever unless being a target for $13/hr is worth it to you.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
You'd make better money working at a descent gas station then Brinks, trust me. Worst job ever unless being a target for $13/hr is worth it to you.
I never worked for Brinks but I did for a local competitor. I loved it! I don't remember the pay scale but do remember it could've been higher but the available hours was great. The best part was the fact that handgun, carbine and ammo were all tax deductible! I LOVED THAT!! (still got the guns)
Oh and BTW in all the years I worked there, I was never not ever shot at! I never even un holstered my weapon, closest I ever got was unsnapping it

Old 06-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Rookie

There's not enough money in the world to get me to work as law enforcement, security, or corrections again. Brinks is to much like security. A dock worker position sounds like the perfect life for me. At ABF I'll earn a second retirement by the age of 59.

Last edited by codytriguy; 06-04-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 08-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Rookie

Well, i applied. The answer was no. Turns out i need a CDL to become a dock worker there.

Tags
abf, dock worker, teamsters, yellow