User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2015, 05:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Considering coming back into the industy.

Okay just looking for a little advice here. I am a former driver and have been out of the industry about 10 years now. I began my career with Swift Transportation and drove for them about 8 or 9 months. At the time I made a stupid decision and quit no notice while leaving the terminal for home time. Immediately after I went to work with a regional company that delivered to local food service establishments. I worked there maybe a month or 2 then left the industry all together.

Since this time I have maintained steady employment with long term jobs, 2 jobs in the last 10 years. Over the last year or so I have been strongly considering getting back into driving. I just miss it in a way if that makes sense. I am more grown and mature now and really am sure I want to do this.

My question would be, how would I go about getting back into the industry. CDL school is so expensive and I can't exactly afford it right now. I don't want to just leave my job unless I am sure I have employment lined up. Should I maybe try to go back with Swift? Is it even possible? I do know they own their own driving schools. I liked driving for them in all honesty and they kept me busy with decent miles. Also I no longer have my CDL I did let it go. Is a refresher course possible? Any other possible companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help and I may have more questions to follow.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Senior Board Member

A refresher is possible, but the real question is do you think you could pass the road test after just a few hours of seat time?
As far as a job just start putting in some app's and make some calls, tell them your plans and see what they say.
Most drivers on here agree that company paid training schools are the last resort

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 04-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, you do have a good point. I remember quite a bit and have even started going back over the CDL manual and some of the practice tests online for now. As far as a road test I am a little unsure if I could at this time. I don't have any particular time frame in mine so basically I am in no rush to get back started which also works in my favor.