User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildK9 View Post
Hahaha! Not sure I'd want to do it in the ND winters. Although, my buddy has been delivering fuel from Casper, Wyoming for almost 2 decades. He sometimes goes up to the Dakotas, Utah, Montana, and Idaho.. Makes 6 figures doing it. Pulls wiggle wagon tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only had one ND winter but I'll take it over West Michigan. Colder up there but this lake keeps our roads greasy. If 5 loads is easy I don't want to know about difficult.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, been there, done that. I'm done with OTR and winters lol. That's why I live in Texas. 12 years of OTR, 5 years of regional, and almost a year of local. I loved OTR for many years, but I was single for most of that time.. I enjoy being home every night.

I don't think there's really anything difficult to my job. I usually do 6-7 loads. Our loads pay between $51.50 and $150.00. Depending upon length and product.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
IF you broke the tank somehow fuel would leak, it would take a perfect situation to make it blow. An empty tank if more likely to blow than a full one or one with a descent amont of fuel. They are designed to withstand some damage. Just like when there is major natural gasleaks that they can't fix quickly, what do they do? LIGHT THEM ON FIRE! Safer that way. Don't worry about it. My family owns an Oil Company which granted, isn't as flammable as gasoline but same rules. What part of the country are you in? $21/hr seems low for tanker work.
When you drive your four-wheeler down the highway there is nothing between the road surface and your fuel supply except for thin piece of sheet metal(or plastic), does that make you nervous?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

I've done some further investigating in this matter, and there is one aspect of fuel hauling that I find to be most troubling. While some gas haulers are killed in wrecks, the vast majority of them die of a medical condition called "Natural Causes". Based upon my research, Natural Causes appears to be highly contagious. If you'll take the time to read the obituaries, you'll discover that Natural Causes claims the lives of many people each year. Easy money may sound great, but I would caution you to consider the long term consequences.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Senior Board Member

So like, maybe only 25% disappear in a fireball, but 75% contract this natural causes plague?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
While some gas haulers are killed in wrecks, the vast majority of them die of a medical condition called "Natural Causes".
I hadn't thought of that. Guess I'd better get to job hunting. [emoji12]

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Rookie

I hauled retail diesel and gas for 3 years and natural gas for 6 years , ground yourself and don't crash ! Never had a worry made good money . You're always working because fuel is always in demand
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior Board Member

What do you mean "ground yourself"?
Old 04-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Board Regular

touch something big and metallic, gasoline doesn't blow, it burns so if you have a spill then you need to worry about the spill not an explosion.

I've been hauling gas and diesel part time(1-3 runs a week) for the past 2.5 years and I don't think about dying in a fire ball, doesn't even cross my mind, my biggest fear is mixing product, about six weeks ago my fear came true, got called out on a long weekend to take 15000L of nolead to a local gas station. Had 3 compartments empty, pulled up to the rack in a hurry cause I had plans with the family, loaded 10000L then switched to the next comp. for the remaining 5000, but hooked up to the wrong one and didn't realize till it scullied out that I filled a comp. that already had 2500L of coloured diesel in it.

delivered the 10000L, called the boss and thought for sure I was fired, but he said he would deal with it on Monday, I guess he just diluted it down enough he didn't lose any product.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:07 PM

7 years under my belt pulling fuel, wouldn't do anything else I love my job and the company I work for. You can die slipping in the bath tub, you can die pissing off a woman, you can die walking out to get your mail. Fact is you are going to die someday. In 7 years I have know three guys personally wreck their tankers, one took a complete 360 roll over after falling asleep, loaded with gas and walked away with a broken collar bone and some scraps, the next guy tried to beat a stale light and took corner to fast loaded and rolled on his side spilled about 3000 gallons of ULSD, the last guy fell asleep too and road out a broken steer axle after hitting the guard rail. All three survived. Now I am also aware a five guys who have died in the Florida area because of tanker accidents, and yes the died in the fire after the accident. somehow as a fuel driver you pay attention to these types of accidents and word travels fast when you are loading on the rack. You just need to be aware at all times and do your job the same way every time, just like you brush your teeth, when you change up how you do things you tend to forget a step and that can lead to a spill, a cross drop, a probing out, so many different things can happen.
The fact is though the same can happen driving a flatbed, doubles, dry van, or even in your car. Pulling fuel is not for everyone and you will know once you get into it. Good luck!
Timberwolf