User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Positive UA 30 years ago

Hello CAD,
I'm new to the industry and I'm applying for jobs with major carriers. I've told two of them, honestly, when I was asked that I did test positive for smoking pot 30 years ago. They seemed like it was going to be an issue. I was working for an Agricultural company that just laid off all new hires and I was one them. They gave me a glowing letter of recommendation and I have my HazMat and Tanker endorsements that I needed to haul their chemicals. Am I screwed to get on with someone? I probably could have said never but I prefer to be honest.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

If you really mean 30 years ago, as in 1984, then there are a couple of questionable statements in your story.

1. You haven't driven commercially in 30 years? If that's correct then that's the number one reason companies are turning you down.

2. I don't recall anyone testing for drugs back in 1984, not saying you're wrong, just saying that I don't recall being tested until 1987 and even then it was company by company not mandated by the Feds.

3. If I recall correctly, in 1984 you didn't get endorsements, you just got a chauffeurs license and then drove whatever you could handle.

Maybe I'm incorrect, but that's how I remember things back then.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Rookie

I really do mean 30 years ago as in (your math is correct) 1984. Please notice the first line of my post; I'm new to the industry. The industry of being a professional driver I kinda thought would kind of go without saying with it being posted in New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here. The industry I was in way back then was very tight on security. I learned a hard lesson then that taught me to get my $h!t together so it would never happen again.
I was very surprised that they were being so put off about it as it was 30 years ago.
I only have a few months experience so I consider myself a newbie.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is difficult to find a position driving without at least 1-2 years experience. Some of the mega carriers will hire those with less experience as long as they have recently graduated from truck driving school. Some don't consider experience that is not otr. If you have less than 6 months experience you may need to check with some of the larger carriers that have a training program. You may be required to go with a trainer for a few weeks before they will turn you loose. They may even want you to run team for a time until you can gain more experience.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Rookie

One of the companies that seemed like if would be a problem I'm going to work for and the other decided to pass on my inquiry about employment with them. Now just to go do what I've been doing for a lot of years; be dependable and not be afraid to work.
Thanks for your reply GMAN.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon