User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Logbook question.

i'm picking up a straight truck from Florida and driving it back to Connecticut for a friend the truck is 33,000 GVW, i wont be hauling anything. Do i still have to keep a logbook and follow the same rules as a TT driver or can i just drive straight without any breaks? thanks all input is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Rookie

If the truck is registered for a GW of 33000, then YES, you do have to have a CDL and log all miles driven. You have to follow the 11/14 hour rules and the 8 hr rule for taking a 30 min break.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Board Icon

Not necessarily. Yes... you have to have a CDL-A (or B.) But, if you are NOT dispatched... under a load... "laden".... and you are not going to GO "on duty" as soon as you get there.... you are considered OFF DUTY. You shouldn't even have to keep a log. You just have to be "licensed" to drive that vehicle. The HOS regulations apply only/mostly to drivers who are under a load. For instance.... a driver who has delivered his load, is empty and sitting in a truck stop.... NOT already dispatched on his next load.... is off duty and can drive his "unladen" vehicle (even including the trailer) anywhere he wants, for as LONG as he wants, AND even have unopened alcohol on board!

If you are just delivering a class B (or A) tractor/truck to someone.... you just have to be licensed to drive it. You are under NO HOS or ROD (logs) regulations.

Still.... you are driving a large vehicle with the capacity to cause GREAT harm if you are involved in an accident. I suggest you take several breaks... including sleep time. To do otherwise is foolish and irresponsible. How many hours do you calculate that trip to be? [I don't feel like checking.] I would say you should take at least ONE sleep break of AT LEAST 6-8 hours. What's the rush?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Board Icon

Sorry, SanteFe500. I realize that being a "rookie" on this board does NOT necessarily mean you're a rookie driver. But.... your answer is wrong. I get a chuckle when I see one rookie answering another rookie's question. But, I also consider that he might be a "new member" and NOT a rookie driver. If that is the case, welcome to CAD! But.... you're still wrong. lol.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.