User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need advice on local driving

Hello,
I have always wanted to drive trucks but I am kind of a fitness freak and the over-the-road jobs just seem to be too hard on you physically. I mean, as far as getting proper rest, maintaining a healthy diet, and exercising regularly, this all sounds very difficult to achieve while driving otr. Am I correct?
So naturally I am interested in local class A jobs that work a normal 8 hr day. I know the pay is less but what other negatives are there?
And I guess a whole 'nother matter is, will I be hireable fresh out of truck school with no experience and unwilling to work otr? I can swing paying for the training myself but want to know what I am getting into.
I hope folks don't get mad at answering what must be tired questions for many.
Thanks!
J
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Senior Board Member

ask roadhog he gets plenty of time for fishing and playing around ,he old school and would no all the tricks to help you,could even get one of shanias mates for you .only kidding mate you only gota do what you can and what suits you
Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Proper rest, diet and exercise are habits you develop through discipline, no matter what you spend your day doing.
People find ways to blame this or that for not being able to stay fit.

I drove reefer and put a lot of fingerprints on my loads, and drove flatbed which was rugged work at times. The challenge wasn't in getting enough of a workout, the challenge is to not hurt yourself. In trucking, you hurt yourself, you still have a job to do, and a thousand miles yet to drive.

Take the OTR job!
Get your training OTR, and doors will open for you, that most likely won't otherwise.
What you are asking to do is skip any and all apprentice training, and jump right to the journeyman job... maybe even start out as the foreman.
You are very unlikely to find anyone who is going to hand you the keys to a 1/4 million dollar rig, with no experience, and give you a load to haul, worth more than you make a year.

You have to prove yourself in most any high risk job, and OTR is the best way to do that in regards to trucking as a career.

Maybe class A isn't for you, consider class B work. Lots of great driving jobs available, plenty of opportunities to go in.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys. Roadhog, thanks for the insight. It does appear that otr training is the best way to enter the field, as much as I am trying to deny it. What is the shortest obligation to a company that trains you? I keep reading '13 months'. I do realize that most of the contracts are rather draconian, ie crappy, for the first year. Low pay is less of a concern for me than miserable working conditions. And I have already driven some local boxtruck stuff, not class B( well, a few times, hush hush). I have driven giant earthmovers and auto wreckers some too. I just think that if I had a class A I would be more employable and be better able to choose something that suits me. Does that sound right?
Thanks!
J
Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Board Icon

We know what you want, and thing is, everyone else wants that job too. You have more competition on the local level. You can make it happen, but it might take you awhile, and thing is, these days, employers don't want to see any lapse in employment, especially when it comes to driving skills.

There are some nice class A jobs in construction and agriculture, that may require long hours at times, but keeps you local.
If you wanted to relocate, that would help a lot too. You could find a start in the oil fields, and they will work you harder than Golds Gym

Many of those kind of jobs, might have you doing other work, besides driving.
Your "primo local driving gig" is the piece of cake everyone wants, so your competition is going to be tough.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Board Icon

Yeah... I already GOT the only one!

Listen to Roadhog! He must be OFF his meds... cause he's making sense!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Yeah... I already GOT the only one!

Listen to Roadhog! He must be OFF his meds... cause he's making sense!
think it some one using his name hobo,just dosnt sound right
Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Board Icon

God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to work one at a time.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Rookie

That is ok with me if i have to do stuff besides just drive, that is one of the reasons I want a local job, so I can get out of the seat for a little bit every little bit. But I dont wanna get worked to death either! I guess it does sound like a primo job.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There have been few who have been able to go directly from school to a local job. I would not expect to have an 8 hour a day job when doing local work. It could happen, but I would not expect it. There are too many things that can delay you during the day, such as traffic, accidents, etc., Local driving can be a faster pace job with many stops. Most local jobs prefer to see at least 1-2 years of otr experience. To tell you the truth, driving otr isn't nearly as bad as some make it appear. It may be a bit challenging, especially starting out. There is much to learn and the real learning begins once you get out of school and into a truck. The only thing that most schools do for students is help them get their CDL. Driving otr is part of the learning experience. I don't think that I would want to drive local. I prefer otr. You will be away from home and family, but the goal is to learn and earn a decent living. You can do that otr. Much of the negative that you read comes from disgruntled drivers with poor attitudes. If you have a positive attitude and are either someone who can manage their time or is willing to learn, then you can do well. Being away from home and family can be challenging, but you will adapt. Some find that driving local can keep you away from family about as much as being on the road. I did drive more local at tone time and I averaged about 70 hours per week. The money was good, but I was still away from home. You go to work, come home and go to bed. You can make periodic stops along the way when you drive otr. I eat fairly healthy when on the road. I try to have vegetables at least once per day. I also try to eat fruit at least once per day. Like Roadhog stated, it is a matter of choices. I am not over weight. I make a conscious effort to eat healthy. I get some exercise throwing tarps, chains and straps. I could do better in that area. There are some who carry weights, exercise and/or walk. You do have to prioritize. You may need to work around your driving schedule. Most of us work irregular routes and that can be a challenge, at times. But, if this is something that you really want to do then it will be up to you to make it happen. One great thing about this industry is that as long as you have a clean mvr and work history, you can have a job, long after many professions require you to retire.