User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much can a newbie make? you get tired? how about weather conditions? team?

I've been contemplating for a couple of weeks now getting cdl training. I have some questions that hopefully you guys and ladies can help me with.

We always hear truck drivers make good money, etc....I always assumed I could start off making at least $700 a week after taxes. But, it seems like i'm reading on here expect around $400 a week your first few months??

One big thing that's also been holding me back from finally going to cdl school, has been i have chronic fatigue. I have found that red bulls and things have helped. Do you guys have any remedies/tips or would you say since i have chronic fatigue driving 18 wheelers isn't for me?

Driving in my car, i once swerved off the road driving in the rain, I live in Georgia so naturally every time it snows, i'm sliding everywhere. Another concern about driving trucks, i know i'll have to drive through all kinds of weather and traffic. Is driving in the rain or snow easier in a truck or safer?

As a newbie is there more or less money in driving as a team? What are the pros and con of teams?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member

"We always hear truck drivers make good money, etc....I always assumed I could start off making at least $700 a week after taxes. But, it seems like i'm reading on here expect around $400 a week your first few months??"

You can make as little as you want but not as much as you'd like. LOTS of guys with years of exp. DO NOT bring home $700 on a normal week.

"One big thing that's also been holding me back from finally going to cdl school, has been i have chronic fatigue. I have found that red bulls and things have helped. Do you guys have any remedies/tips or would you say since i have chronic fatigue driving 18 wheelers isn't for me?"

Your right, driveings not for you and it's best to know that now rether than after you dropped 5 grand on training and then crashed a truck cause you couldn't stay alert.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington