User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Got my Class A 2 months ago

I decided to get my Class A CDL in my own without going to a school. Do I studied the book and took my road test thru a 3rd party tester. I did not know that every company I called was gonna say I need at least 6 months OTR AND graduate from a CDL school. Doesn't anyone provide paid training without going thru a school?? I guess I'll have to go thru a school but I need to get paid while I do it. Can anyone suggest something to help me out? Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

You might be able to find a farmer that will give you a chance or some O/O that needs a second seat but it dosn't sound good.
If you can find a company that is willing to put you thru school and then OTR training all while being paid, well thats going to be hard enough but paying them back will be even harder you will be expected to work for them foe at least one year at a LOW rate of .25cpm or maybe less and make payments. Avoid that route if at all possible

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Rookie

buy a truck get own authroity and insurance get some loads and work for yourself.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve451 View Post
buy a truck get own authroity and insurance get some loads and work for yourself.
YEAH!! Better check if you can even get the insurance

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve451 View Post
buy a truck get own authority and insurance get some loads and work for yourself.
In all due respect, this advice is unwise, considering his situation. Buying a truck and getting your own authority would be a big mistake without experience in trucking and business. Even with a mentor, it would be precarious and risky.

Passing a test, does not prepare a driver for OTR driving situations that will be encountered. Every year I traveled I-80 and I-90 in the winter, there'd be England trucks at the bottom of the cliff. On several occasions I'd talk those guys through those situations. As bad as I wanted an new driver following me, I felt it was safer than leaving them out there on their own to block the highway or worse.

The real question is why do you want to be an OTR driver in the first place? There are many aspects of trucking that could provide you with more money than a new OTR driver can earn. Driving straight trucks would be good first experience, ie. concrete trucks, propane trucks, etc. Farming was mentioned above as well. I have a cousin that went right into oil field tankers after taking the test. Any of that experience will not hurt you as you move forward.

If you are determined to go OTR, you'll have to go with a training company for insurance reasons. Many of those companies are self insured and can take new drivers. The bad news is, you will not make much money. The reality is, you won't make much the first couple of years either. If you can get past that, and you enjoy traveling and a solitary lifestyle, you'll find a rewarding career OTR.

Good luck and don't let go of your dreams.