change needed now 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Gee, $31,720 gross for your first year is pretty good. I know a lot of people who would give their right eye to start at over $30,000 a year.

I don't think I would enjoy starting out at .28 cpm just because I was a student, but then again I know of a few companies that pay less then that. As well as a few companies that start experienced drivers at that rate.

Also, .28 cpm to start with a solid reputatable company would be good as long as you stayed with them for a year then if find out if you can find another company EXACTLY like the first one, but offered better pay. Then you might see an increase in the total gross revenue.

Just my humble opinion! And as Doc would say, "everybody has an opinion and sometimes that is the problem!"
Old 07-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Board Regular

you know.. i can remember when i first got started in Architecture.......It wasn't until mid career that I got into the high $30's and low $40's salary range and 40 hr weeks.... get outta here.......I don't remember when i worked a 40hr week last........on the average over a 25 year career I usually worked a 60 - 70 week........no over time pay.. that was the job. Your salary was based on a 40 hr week.. but you were expected to put in whatever it took to get the jobs out......there have been more than I care to remember times when it came down to the crunch....you lived in office.....36 - 48 hrs straight isn't unheard of..........hell every profession has it's good and bad.......the problem now days is the McMe syndrome. Instant gratification....drive thru succes and rewards.

I'm 47 and changing careers.......taking at the least a 50% cut in pay, so .. things will be a little tight for awhile......i'll pay my dues, but the trade off in MHO is worth it........if it don't work out....that's the great thing about america.......you can find something else.

Okay.....call me crazy (and i'm sure some will).....but $70K a year isn't enough to put up with all you have to do now days as an Architect. It used to be a profession.. now it's more like being a whore going for the highest dollar. Most of the time, if you break it down to a dollar per hour wage.......for the hours you put in project.....you're barely making minimum wage. So what's the difference....designing or driving a truck. For me to design a custom house, you're looking at realisticly 15% of the construction cost.........how many of you would be willing to pay $30,000 in design fees on a $200,000 home....not to many I'm sure....

When I was younger.......I thought the big salary... big house, pool, boat, etc. would be the goal.......the truth is .. those guys making the big bucks... well they just have bigger bills and debts to boot.... along with hypertension, uclers, and everything else that goes along with the success. You don't get to see your kid any more.......you're too busy making it to enjoy it........before you know it.. the kids are grown......the marriage is a fine perception on the outside, but hollow and empty behind the facade......believe me ...when it gets to that point.....it ain't worth it. One divorce wipes it all away.......More isn't always better. Nothing is free... make sure you're willing to pay the price for success. Happiness isn't bought....it's something obtained in the revelation of what's really important. Maybe it's time instead of looking for what's all wrong with the driving profession.......to finding what's right with it... all those things that got your attention in the first place. Yeah... I'm starting at the bottom and will work my way up.......that's life.. get over it. You know... Bill Gates started Microsoft in a rented storage unit.......now look at him. ( and no I'm not a big Microsoft fan.....go Linux) but the principal is there. It's called opportunity.... nothing is ever a sure thing..........not even life. Hell.. I guess those lessons I learned cutting cattle, working the family homestead...actually did take root......go figure. Call me old fashioned, I still believe you gotta pay your dues........give more than your expected to.....doing the job right the first time........and a little thing called self pride. I can live with that. Keep it safe all........
Old 07-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Board Regular

lifespalette,

What you just said rang true in a whole lot of ears, I'm sure. Thank you for for that post, it brought things back into perspective for me. I am one of those that are caught up trying to get more and more, but in the long run it seems like I end up with less. I think I will now take time out to enjoy life for a while, and if the boss don't like it, there's other companies looking to hire a truck driver.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
And as Doc would say, "everybody has an opinion and sometimes that is the problem!"
How 'bout that. I'm being "Paraphrased" just like Yogi Berra.. Aw gee Beetle thanks!!!

Now for Lifespalette, here's a gentleman that has his priorities in the right order... Another one we can take under the collective wing..

There is hope for the ailing transportation industry yet if more like Lifespalette, Silver Bullet, Scoe, TennesseeAngel and others like them enter the the workforce. Gee, I'm going to miss it!!!