User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow... not sure how to take that. I thought I just gave you a list of things to start working on that would keep ME busy for at least a week!

Okay... let's try another route. Since community college tuition is so cheap, go ahead and take the class. You MIGHT get lucky right out of the gate and find someone to hire you (probably teaming,) definitely a smaller carrier (probably self-insured.) If not... when your shelf-life expires, you can hopefully afford a refresher course.

You said something about "over qualifying" and settling for a Class-B driving job to start. Okay... why not start there? If you've passed all the tests, all you need is a box-truck (not even airbraked) to get a class-B (I think.) So... I don't know... but wouldn't a large Uhaul truck work? Rent one and take the driving test. Now... you got a class-B and you can start applying for jobs.

We have a local moving company that has a bunch of box trucks and a few Class A type tractor/trailers. You tried any of them? How about Rent-A-Center or other such driving jobs (furniture stores, etc.)

That local moving company (if you were here) might hire you to drive the box trucks, and then see how dedicated and clean you were, and if they could swing it, might want you to move up to the long haulers. They might would even loan you one of their class 8 tractor/trailer rigs for the test.

IIRC, my local Waste Management company only requires a Class B. And, I don't think they are quite as anal about a single speeding ticket.

Instead of "over qualifying" and wasting your money... why not just GET the class B and start making a living? Other than that? Dumps? Gravel haulers? Beat the streets and LOOK. I'm out of ideas that can help you "right now, today."

As for your idea that YOUR thread will be a beacon of guidance or an illumination to others? Man... there are hundreds of threads on here asking the SAME questions... and a few "stickies" (which I doubt you've read.) I don't see how ANY of the responses you got were anything BUT "constructive."

Oops! I lied. I just thought of another one. Can't be that far of a drive down to Philly. Isn't that a port city? Have you looked into Container hauling? Not sure... but, I think some of those companies tend to look the other way.

Okay... now I'm out of ideas. Really. [other than "Hot-shots."] Really, that's all I got.

Good luck. Really.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Can you clarify getting busted in 2006 for a joint but then say you haven't used drugs since 1996 in high school?

Hit the produce markets,small O/O's pulling cans,store delivery.ect.

My insurance is fairly lenient but pretty firm on 10 years for any drug charge.

Hobo,why do you keep saying a small carrier that is"self insured"? Unless you mean a company that has straight trucks intrastate not regulated. Self insured(liability)is way out of reach for a company with a few hundred trucks much less a small company.