User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow, I didn't know it was so easy to offend a person on a message board. If you would remove your emotion and engage your brain you would know I was clarifying to another poster why I asked you
Quote:
It doesn't make sense could you clarify your position?
If you get this worked up and let someone you know nothing about and have never met offend you on the internet of all places, I think you need to take life less serious. Put your big boy pants on and see that I was trying to engage in the original thread and not "hyjack" (which is supposed to be hijack, not that it's relevant) your thread. Furthermore, I don't know what me being an ex-cop has to do with anything. I used to drive semis so I do have a bit of knowledge about the industry. If you want people to give you an intelligent response and engage in debate, then make sure your sentences are coherent. I'm not expecting everyone here to have perfect English or punctuation. The only person I see on here trying to make personal attacks on anybody is you, sir.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey1982 View Post
Wow, I didn't know it was so easy to offend a person on a message board. If you would remove your emotion and engage your brain you would know I was clarifying to another poster why I asked you

If you get this worked up and let someone you know nothing about and have never met offend you on the internet of all places, I think you need to take life less serious. Put your big boy pants on and see that I was trying to engage in the original thread and not "hyjack" (which is supposed to be hijack, not that it's relevant) your thread. Furthermore, I don't know what me being an ex-cop has to do with anything. I used to drive semis so I do have a bit of knowledge about the industry. If you want people to give you an intelligent response and engage in debate, then make sure your sentences are coherent. I'm not expecting everyone here to have perfect English or punctuation. The only person I see on here trying to make personal attacks on anybody is you, sir.
Well, at least thanks for the sir.

As far as getting worked up for you hyjacking my thread for garbage such as whether my sentences are coherent, your comments are just plain rude.

As far as the ex-cop thing, I have found thru personal experience that cops with stupid attitudes tend to screw over the common, including truck drivers. However, they keep that illgotten attitude all the until they quit, or get fired. Then, still in the mindset that they were once a cop, they think they are still owed. What? Have no clue what they think they are owed.

So when you combined the "ex-cop" with the "grammer police", even you can see where tensions might come up. Hince, personal attacks.

So when you go out to hyjack threads, expect the original poster to get irate.

However, if you have anything to post on driver's pay, as the post started out to deal with, feel free to leave your comments so others can learn by them.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the opportunity to mend the fence.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Who cares if he's an ex-cop? I don't. I've never had any issues with cops or the DOT, but then again, I don't do things that would make them my enemy, either.

I don't have a problem with 99% of cops or DOT. Just that 1%, and most are ex-cops, or soon will be thru their own doings. The most problems that I have gotten are from ex-cops who have quit because they couldn't hack it, but still pretend they are wearing a badge.

'

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619 View Post
Hi. Long time being away from the board, but with a new possible job being just around the corner for me, I got to thinking about the pay.

Now the company told me I would be paid .35 /mile. But would that be HHG? Or Practical Miles? Or even, HUB Miles? I don't know. What I do know is that I will be paid the miles on the contract. What does that mean? It's really simple. The shipping company have talked to company A, and came up with a price to ship to company B. Within that price is a certain percentage allowed for drivers pay for the entire load. The shipping company then takes that driver pay amount, and divide IT by the pay the driver gets, and gets the number of miles paid. Not the miles driven, the amount of miles paid. Sometimes, you can get the company to increase the amount. Not always. You can try, but most good companies will already be given what the total amount for driver pay adds up too......Not JBH, but good companies.
Ok, lets get this thread back on track. As a driver that has hauled mostly heavy equipment, I have always been paid by the hour. $19.00 - $22.00 depending what company it was with. Before we start talking about wages, all the local companies will have you exceed your HOS if you allow them to. If you speak up, you will hit the road. They think they are not regulated by the FMCSA because of the 100 mile radius, they are mistaken and they know this. That is why they run a constant ad stating "Driver needed, must have good driving record". So, this is my question, I know about hub miles, I have no knowledge with HHG miles. Help a brother out. Thanks, Dana.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Rookie

HHG miles are calculated from zip code to zip code. Their is inherently a certain percentage of miles that are not paid to the driver, and account for the disparity between actual odometer miles driven and miles the company pays the driver. For example, it is about 275 miles from Dallas, TX to San Antonio TX, but since the company pays HHG miles it may only pay 250 miles because that is what HHG guide says the distance between zipcode A and zipcode B. HHG calculates from the center of zip code "A" to center of zipcode "B".
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the answer Stewey1982, I found this website that goes into a very in-depth explanation of this method of calculating miles. Its called driver1st.com. It looks like a training school.

Practical Miles –VS – Rand McNally Household Goods Mileage Guide 19 - (HHG)

Definition on HHG: Household Goods Mileage Guide 19 rules established by the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA). Truck driver definition “I don’t get paid for 10% of the miles I run”

Practical Miles – Practical Mile Routing: Based on actual routing, point to point (this is not a straight line, again it is actual routing). Truck driver definition “I get paid for the miles I run”

What does this mean to an owner/operator? Assumption: HHG miles will be calculate at 91% of actual miles. Practical Miles will be calculated at 99% of actual miles.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

You know, what's funny is that the job that was going to hire me didn't, so I got hired to haul frac sand.
I get a percentage of the load, 25% to be precise, so milage pay really isn't a concern. Still very good information for new drivers.

'

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey1982 View Post
HHG miles are calculated from zip code to zip code. Their is inherently a certain percentage of miles that are not paid to the driver, and account for the disparity between actual odometer miles driven and miles the company pays the driver. For example, it is about 275 miles from Dallas, TX to San Antonio TX, but since the company pays HHG miles it may only pay 250 miles because that is what HHG guide says the distance between zipcode A and zipcode B. HHG calculates from the center of zip code "A" to center of zipcode "B".
Well, that kinda close. But also remember that every company bids for the jobs, so while HHG miles says 250 miles, your company might have bidded 245, and your pay will reflect what they bidded. This was explained to me by JB Hunt as I slowly got angrier and angrier with them leaving me stuck in trucks stops for days on end..

'