User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default MILITARY Gi Bill OJT companies - New driver

First post guys,

I just obtained my CDL Permit and start trucking school in a few weeks. I would like to ask if anyone has more information to what companies provide the OJT Apprenticeship benefits for GI Bill. I have noticed that some companies use the GI Bill for just CDL training, but this is meant for the actual 1 year On the Job benefits.

So far I found:
Schneider
Conway
TMC transport
Werner

I will update and verify the list.
Anyone that has used this program and would like to add anything useful including benefits offered for Military Veterans in any area, please do so. Thanks.

Last edited by coreyusaf; 12-21-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Rookie

Covenat also is on that list. It is Team only
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Rookie

Roehl also has an apprenticeship program. It's not advertised on there website, but can be found by searching "Roehl Honor Program"
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM

I would not depend on the GI bill for supplemental income. All you will receive is your MHA as they call it or as you know it your BAH payable while you are in training. Training at most companies is only 1-2 months. You payment is a supplemental payment. So lets say you were an E-5 with no dependents living in Tennessee and you got paid $500 in training pay you would only get $697 a month in MHA for the length of your training. So for two months you will receive $1,394 and that's it. That's only average of $174.25 a week. I wouldn't base my career on that. You can make more than that extra in pay your first year if you choose the right company. When I started I let my GI bill pay for my school and didnt let it influence my job choice.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 AM
Rookie

---Add 2 to the list.---
I checked out Roehl's. Looks like they do a 2 year apprenticeship program, all others only 1 year.(so far)
I checked out Covenant. They do have a program

Steve3662, I think your talking about something else. -- Here is a link to the actual OJT Apprenticeship option for the GI Bill. GI Bill Apprenticeship and OJT | Military.com

It looks like they are updating the program
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM

They must have changed the parameters of the program but if you read closely you are still not guaranteed a year. Use to the GI bill was slated for OJT based on housing allowance for your zip code and it was supplemented. You would have to send in pay stubs and all the other paperwork. If you read the parameters of this version you will see the government might cut you off after you ride with a trainer for 6-8 weeks. Here are the parameters I am referring to.
To qualify, your job must meet the following criteria:

You must be supervised at least 50 percent of the time.

Your training must be documented and reported.

The job must require at least six months training to become fully trained.

Here is another part from the veterans affairs site that I one would ask my potential employer about. Are they going to pay you salary or mileage. Most companies during training offer a salary and it isn't worth a hill of beans. Like I said I would way out the benefits of taking this and not taking this. If you are making $30,000 a year at a company that does this would you be better off at say $42,000 (if active duty and meet the VA's requirements for a whole year) with these benefits or would it be better off to take that job you can make $48,000 your first year plus keep your GI Bill in case you decided you wanted to roll it over to your kids or use it later on down the line. The government will try to get out of whatever they can. They said they over paid me when I was in the Army and they added to my following years taxes plus interest. Just my advice I would take that out of the equation and if one of those is the best option take it but don't let it make your decision for you.
One generally enters into a training contract for a specific period of time with an employer or union and at the end of the training period has gained job certification or journeyman status. In most instances one receives a salary from their employer or union while participating in training. As one progresses through training, their skill level increases and so does their salary. GI Bill payments are issued monthly after we receive certification of hours worked from the employer.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Definately get ahold of a tmc recruiter. They can explain how it works. They are a great company and work very hard to hire and keep veterans employed with them. I drove for them for a while and now so does my neighbor.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Rookie