User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How many road hours of training to at least pass cdl?

In a week or two I should be pretty much focusing on and putting in my hours in driving a rig, shifting,.etc.
How many hours on average for those of you who have your cdl does it take to be ready for your road test?

Last edited by EddieVHrules; 10-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Board Icon

I took a standard (I guess) 240 hour school. Don't think it was even a PTDI school... but, I don't think it mattered alot since I now work for FedEx. We had 3 or 4 trucks for about 20 students (I'm guessing.) One was an 8 speed, one was a 10, and one was a 13. We each got "some" time on each truck (about 4-5 to a truck.) They focused on backing techniques and the various shift patterns. I think the requirement was a total of 30 hours in a truck. MUCH of that was as an "observer." There is much to be gained from observing others making mistakes. (we ALL think we could do better.)

One of my instructors took us around the yard and showed us how HE could "float the gears." I was amazed. I didn't think I would EVER be able to do that! You don't NEED to do that to pass the test.

If you don't think you're getting enough hours at the wheel, it's probably because your (observant and professional) trainer has already figured out that you don't NEED that much time at the wheel. Those who DO... get more time. HE is responsible for passing ALL of you if he can.

Does he RIDE you... or RELY on you? That is the measure of how you are doing.

The road test is about just a few things. Can you keep the azz end of the trailer in your lane? Can you anticipate a red light and slow down in time? Can you make a turn and KNOW where your tandems are? Are you reading ALL the signs and paying attention to "low clearance" signs? Can you "find (the right) gear" when you need one?

You don't have to be "perfect." Just... adequate and "confident." If you make a mistake... you MUST show that you know how to "recover."

You sound worried. Why? Most of it is just geometry. Can you back a truck/trailer into a parallel spot? NONE of us are really good at it! You might be surprised (and you WILL be when you get out there) how bad SOME drivers are at backing into a dock!

The trick to driving a big rig, and passing the test, is to know where your trailer IS... and will go... depending on YOUR actions and awareness. The more "awareness" and comfortability/confidence YOU show... the higher your score. [and the BAR has been set pretty low.]

If you REALLY don't know what to do in a situation... ask! But, if you KNOW it... and/or can figure it out on your own, DON'T ask! THAT is what your "tester" is looking for!

Driving a truck takes confidence. It is NOT for Wusses (see my sigline.) Your "tester" is looking to see if YOU feel that you know what you are doing. He is NOT looking for "perfection." IF you make a mistake... tell him! [before he tells YOU.] That gets you another "point" on his evaluation.

By asking questions here on CAD... you have already gotten a step on the others in your class. It proves your dedication and interest in being the BEST at what you (will) do!

I see no reason to doubt that you will succeed/pass!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Rookie

Its not all about learning driving only. For a perfect truck driver one should be knowing to fix small issues and basic stuff about the truck, so that they can get the truck in good condition for a long drive.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Board Icon

True... but that wasn't the O.P.'s question.

BTW... I strongly suggest you edit your profile to remove your physical street address. NO ONE does that on internet messageboards. Who knows who might read this and show up some night to "give you their opinion?"