User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default zavarra texas

heading out to this place tomorrow and i have never heard of it, Is anyone familar with it, Truckstops,parking,food,etc because am going to be about a day early
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

That place is in the middle of no where Depending on which way you are going https://www.google.com/search?q=truc...ient=firefox-a
Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Board Member

kentucky like chickens small dig them up quick
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper2 View Post
heading out to this place tomorrow and i have never heard of it, Is anyone familar with it, Truckstops,parking,food,etc because am going to be about a day early
Never heard of "ZavarraTX" before.......but if you are going to "Zavalla TX".....then there is a dinky Loves truckstop in Lufkin. A better place is the Chevron on US59 in Nacogdoches TX, north of town. There is a really decent cafe next door and a decent mexican joint just down the frontage road a short walk.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Rookie

Hi Orangetxguy,

Enjoy reading the info you put out there. I'd like to hear your input on this.... I'm currently working out of the country at the moment... but I'll be returning to the states very soon. I'll be getting my CDL "A" with HAZMAT, Tanker, Double/Triples, Combinations..Ect. I'm going to settle somewhere in Texas... Houston or San Antonio... I'm not sure at the moment. Are there a lot of jobs hauling crude oil in Houston? I wanted to know if you where going to move to Texas... what would be the best city to live in... as far as quality of life and a lot of work hauling crude oil. Now, I'm a newbie with no experience... and I'm sure I won't get exactly the driving position I want starting out. My goal is to haul crude oil... for a good company as an hourly company driver... hopefully I can work 70+ hours a week. I know... I know.... "dare to dream." Can you recommend any good crude oil hauling company's in Texas?
Thank you for you time and I hope to hear from you.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1471 View Post
Hi Orangetxguy,

Enjoy reading the info you put out there. I'd like to hear your input on this.... I'm currently working out of the country at the moment... but I'll be returning to the states very soon. I'll be getting my CDL "A" with HAZMAT, Tanker, Double/Triples, Combinations..Ect. I'm going to settle somewhere in Texas... Houston or San Antonio... I'm not sure at the moment. Are there a lot of jobs hauling crude oil in Houston? I wanted to know if you where going to move to Texas... what would be the best city to live in... as far as quality of life and a lot of work hauling crude oil. Now, I'm a newbie with no experience... and I'm sure I won't get exactly the driving position I want starting out. My goal is to haul crude oil... for a good company as an hourly company driver... hopefully I can work 70+ hours a week. I know... I know.... "dare to dream." Can you recommend any good crude oil hauling company's in Texas?
Thank you for you time and I hope to hear from you.
Well....First off.....IF I were gonna move to Texas for quality of life.....then I would have to decide which interests I would pursue......those beyond work. The easiest advise I could give you would be to move to the San Antonio area. South of San Antone....anywhere along the I-37 / US 181 corridor. I suggest this area because you would be close to the Gulf of Mexico and the great fishing that it affords, you will be close to the prime hunting areas of the Texas Hill Country. Mostly the weather is always decent, especially if you like to be warm....like I do....

You didn't say what it is you are doing...."out of the country". That will make a huge difference on what you need to do to get to the point where a reputable company will hire you to haul crude. Right now, in Texas the very best companies to work for as a company driver would fall along this line....in my book.

1; Plains Marketing
2: Sentinel Transportation
3; Dupre Logistics
4; Sunoco Logistics
5; Dorado Oil (yup...a company nobody ever heard of)
6; EastTex Crude
7; Bargas Inc (another company nobody ever heard of)
8; Palletized Transportation

You're a "Newbie" so you will need two years driving experience to get any attention from any of those companies. If you move to South Texas and have a decent background you are in luck. Key Energy will train you as a "new driver". You would start out hauling water...harder work for less money, but in six months, if you prove yourself, they would move you into the crude fleet. Schneider National would train you as well...though I would not suggest them except as a "last resort".

Some of the lower paying companies that might train you right out the gate to drive tanker;

1; Gulfmark Energy
2; Mission Petroleum
3; Permian Crude

There are a lot of operations for hauling crude in Texas. Those first four on the top list......those would be the ones that I consider "Cream of the crop". The thing you have to keep in mind is, "Booms" do not last. Once leases have been "proved" and the "pay-zone" area identified, drilling operations, as well as all the other aspects of the oil industry, cut back to a more manageable pace. All things considered, you have time to get situated, get your driving experience, then get a good job with a decent company. From everything that I hear from friends in the right places, the oil that is being produced from these new pay-zones will continue well into the future. A person has the chance to find a decent company, prove themselves and have a "Career".
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Rookie

Hi Orangetxguy,

Man... that was outstanding information. Thank you... I will definitely use this information seriously. I can imagine why some of those company's you listed... "nobody ever heard of"... it's probably because they don't need to advertise for drivers. Good company's that pay there drivers well and treat them with respect... don't have a high turn over rate. I guess when you've been in this business as long as you have... you hear the bad and good about most of the players in this field. I'll let you know how things play out... if I make good on this... hope you're in Texas... because I think some beers are in order. Thank you again... will keep in touch.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM

I haul frac sand for Halliburton in the Midland/Odessa Texas area and southern New Mexico.I have talked to several drivers that have worked in the oilfield in South Texas and they have moved to West Texas. They say it is very dangerous in parts of South Texas. If you have a CDL you can have a job tomorrow out here. Everybody has a help wanted sign out.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain binder View Post
They say it is very dangerous in parts of South Texas.
What is making south TX more dangerous that it already was? I'm curious because I'm looking into the oilfield work myself.

Hello GMAN! (I'm sure you'll see this )
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
What is making south TX more dangerous that it already was? I'm curious because I'm looking into the oilfield work myself.

Hello GMAN! (I'm sure you'll see this )

Hey, Arky. Lone time, no hear. Yep, Texas is very dangerous. It seems that there are DOT around every corner.