User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Driver

I am not exactly a new driver, I have had my CDL since 1996. I have been working locally driving different types of equiptment for the past 10 years. Before that regional, and before that OTR. I am out of work now and actively searching for work. I used the one time application here on Class A Driver. All the companies that responded ALL told me I didnt have the required recent otr experience I have been told by some to get a refresher course and they would talk more. I can not afford this now that is why I am looking to sign on to a company that offers such courses. Any Ideas?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Rookie

You may be able to hire on with a company that trains new drivers, like USX, Werner, etc. without recent experience you'd have to spend a few weeks with a trainer but at least your getting paid. Based on my past experience with Werner, your training pay may be the best paychecks you get with the company. lol Your best bet for a good paycheck with those companies is to get on a dedicated account.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECON5912 View Post
I am not exactly a new driver, I have had my CDL since 1996. I have been working locally driving different types of equiptment for the past 10 years. Before that regional, and before that OTR. I am out of work now and actively searching for work. I used the one time application here on Class A Driver. All the companies that responded ALL told me I didnt have the required recent otr experience I have been told by some to get a refresher course and they would talk more. I can not afford this now that is why I am looking to sign on to a company that offers such courses. Any Ideas?
Most companies require at least 6 months OTR within the past year. Anything less or beyond that is nothing to them. Of course I would never do such a thing (psh yeah right) but is there no way you could just stretch the truth a tiny bit in order to get them to give you a chance? If not, I second what MiFamilyGuy said. Companies like US Xpress, Werner, or Swift would probably take you on. Just be ready to take a 3 day bus ride to some backwater town for a 3 day orientation followed by a 3 month training period. If that wouldn't work for you I would try to call around to local school bus driving companies. Most of these big time hot shot truckers would gasp at such an idea but I worked as a bus driver for over a year and it was one of the best jobs I ever had. Pay wasn't bad, got to go home every night, etc. You could apply with the district or private companies that have contracts with the district and whoever else they can get work from. The district would probably pay better and be more dependable but the private company would be easier to get a job with.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Paul View Post
Most companies require at least 6 months OTR within the past year. Anything less or beyond that is nothing to them. Of course I would never do such a thing (psh yeah right) but is there no way you could just stretch the truth a tiny bit in order to get them to give you a chance?
Do that and you will be sent home so quick your head will spin! And you will be paying your own way home too!
Try sending app. derictly to the company your interested in, the generic app thru this site works but not in all cases. Check out Crete Carrier corp. they gave me a shot and I hadn't been in a truck for a couple years.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 AM

sometimes when looking or asking for help/input one should tell were there from/area, i could give ya a few smale comp to ck but if your from fl. it would not do you much good!! i know a good flatbed as well some ref.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM

should I decide to go back I will have to take a refresher course...but it beats starting from square one.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Trucking companies usually don't hire inexperienced drivers and they have the logical reasons for that. If someone is really looking to make careers (scope is quiet high) in trucking with no experience then he should start with some very small company. It will hardly take him to grab a big opportunity.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Have you been driving a truck at all during the last 3 years or so? Have you kept your CDL current for at least the last 3 years? If so, you may find a smaller carrier who will give you a chance to get started again. You may even find someone who will work with you as a team. Otherwise, there are several carriers who train drivers. Swift, CRST, Roehl, Millis, Covenant, US Xpress are a few who do train.