User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Company Schools vs Private Schools

Hello everyone. Im 17 years old and am considering becoming a truck driver if I cannot get in the military. I'll probably go to a local community college until I am 21 years old, because I have read that it is very difficult to find a trucking job at 18. Anyways, what are your opinions on going to a company sponsored school vs. a private trucking school. If you had the money, would you rather go to a private school or a company school? I'm asking this because I have heard horror stories about the large companies "truck mills" and everything that goes along with it. I understand everyone must get their experience somehow and everyone has to pay their dues, but there has to be a better way. So, if somone has the money, would you advise someone to go to a private school? By By the way, I live in North West Ohio, and am considering these to schools; Great Lakes Truck Driving School, and Trainco Truck Driving School.

Here are there websites...

Great Lakes Truck Driving School- Great Lakes Truck Driving School - Cleveland, OH

Trainco Truck Driving School- Truck Driving School Ohio & Michigan : Trainco Inc

Anyone with experience or knowledge about either of these schools, please tell me about them and if they help with job placement.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM

What makes you think that you can't get into the military? Go talk to a Marine recruiter or the Army, tell them you want to be a truck driver. I'd bet they will have all kinds of things to say to you!
down the hill
Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

jimjim's right. Besides, a LOT of trucking companies love veterans. Driving heavy trucks for Uncle Sam would be good for your resume, too. However, to answer your original question, private school. Company schools are only good for the company, and not for the driver. By the way, welcome to this wonderful corner of the universe.