User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting a OTR job without the OTR experience

I am 25 years old. I obtained my CDL on my own 3 years ago. I have 8-9 months driving experience with a tractor trailer but none was OTR it was all basically local driving. Other then that I have 2 Years straight truck experience. I used to drive a dump truck and at my current job I drive a tandem 4000 gal. used oil tanker. I really want to get a job driving over the road it has been my dream since I was little. I have noticed it seems impossible to get a job without experience or recently graduating from a driving school. Does anyone know of any companies that would hire me or that have training programs to get me into the field. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am willing to do anything.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Rookie
Default Where have you applied?

You should easily get any large company to hire you, especially if your driving record is clear. Schneider (stinks), USA Truck, Old Dominion, Conway, CRST, Heartland, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjbscottyb1 View Post
I am 25 years old. I obtained my CDL on my own 3 years ago. I have 8-9 months driving experience with a tractor trailer but none was OTR it was all basically local driving. Other then that I have 2 Years straight truck experience. I used to drive a dump truck and at my current job I drive a tandem 4000 gal. used oil tanker. I really want to get a job driving over the road it has been my dream since I was little. I have noticed it seems impossible to get a job without experience or recently graduating from a driving school. Does anyone know of any companies that would hire me or that have training programs to get me into the field. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am willing to do anything.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Rookie

Do you prefer any one of them company's over the other?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM

were you live, any family, its not who sombody else thinks it what you want to drive for, ck them all out, talk to the highing peple at a few companys 4-5. see were the yards are and what they exspect from you as a driver and ask about the traning program(time with traner) then you pick who you like. then ask for others input and make up your own mind from that.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Rookie

It has been my personal experience that the best and most consistent paycheck with a big company is on a dedicated account. Most of the big carriers that train new drivers have accounts with Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. I wasn't able to get a dependable income to feed the family until I started pulling dollar store freight. That may be a good question to ask a carrier that you consider... what dedicated freight is available where you live. As long as you're sleeping in the truck during the week it should count as OTR experience.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Rookie