User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How about some useful new driver input?

I am a recent cdl grad, no experience looking for useful positive input regarding companies hiring student drivers. I am 50, single, kids grown, no criminal history, no dwi/dui, no citations or accidents and have been pre approved by werner and wil-trans. I am looking for a company that allows a medium (under 40#) dog after training and trains as a solo operation ( trainer awake while you drive) with good pay, equip., etc. I have had a great deal of rejection from perspective employers as I have been retired since early 2007 and utilizing interest and capital gains proceeds for my living expenses. As a result I cannot show 3-10 years of work history or employment income which has been cause for most companies to reject my applications. If anyone has positive recent (1-3 yrs.) personal experiences and would be willing to respond I would like to hear from you. I am not interested in hearing more complaints and negative comments.....how about some of your good experiences and recommendations?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Senior Board Member

You don't give much pertinent info. Where do you call home?

You have just learned that "not working" makes getting hired as a truck driver hard. Unfortunate for you, Corporate America does not recognize "Retirement" at age 45. However, since you say you have been living off interest and capital gains, you have......or should have, tax returns to show proof of that income. Those tax returns should suffice for the work history.

Werner and/or Wil-Trans, would work as a training company. I know that there are many drivers whom have worked at both for years that are happy with both. But to suggest a company that is close to you.....we need to know where you live.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks Orangetxguy, I live in NM. 2hrs from Albuquerque and 1 hr from Grants or Gallup, off of I-40 west of ABQ, I have no problem establishing a domicle in Abq. if nessecary. Yes both Werner and Wil-trans accepted the returns and financials but they seemed to be the exception, not the rule. I was interested in Conway until their recuiter stated that it since I graduated from truck driving school over 30 days ago they will not consider me. Any further advice is appreciated.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Graduation date 6/25/12, Cdl issued 7/24/12
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Board Icon

I'd go with Werner except they don't teach you much logging by hand which COULD make it harder to move to another company that makes you log by hand. Werner is all paperless logging, you hit a button to go on and off duty and a computer logs it for you. I got a buddy from high school who started with Werner and wished he never left many days. I can't say if they allow pets, did you ask them yourself? Same with a driver trainer, it's easier to ask them how they operate that. I know a lot like to give you a couple of weeks driving with the trainer sitting beside you, which is like driving solo but then after a few weeks they will team run you.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may try Swift, Roehl, Millis, US Xpress, Covenant for vans. These carriers come up often with new drivers. If you want to pull flats then Maverick or TMC. Some carriers do have regional hiring restrictions. In other words, some only hire in certain areas or will not hire out of other areas. You will need to check with them and ask about the pet restrictions. There is a company listings section on this forum which lists minimum hiring requirements. That might give you a few companies with whom you can check. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Rookie

GMAN, thanks for the suggestions. I have checked out all of those you listed in your posting, either no pets or I am out of their hiring area. I also found the listing you mentioned and added DeBoer to my list of prospectives that hire out of New Mexico and allow pets after training. I realize I am limiting my choices with the pet requirement and the fact that New Mexico is not on many companies list of hiring areas (I live where I live and I love my dog too much to give her up for what is obviously an incredibly tough and financially challenging lifestyle...at least for the first year or two) . For that reason I am hoping to hear from drivers that have first hand knowledge of companies that offer the best conditions, benefits, equip., training etc. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Hey Mr. Ford 95, Why couldn't a guy keep his own paper logs for the sake of experience while the qualcomm does it's own thing? Makes sense to me.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Board Icon

Chisle, nothing is stopping you from doing that but how will you know if your doing it right? I assume you were taught how to log in CDL school? Then again, what if DOT stops you and happens to see the paper log sitting there? If you've made a mistake they will pop you for it even though your company is 100% paperless logging and that might show your legal. Just saying, it'd be a little ironic if that happened