User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truckin' Ain't for Wusses!

Okay... that's (the main) part of my sigline... but's it's very much the way I feel.

Those of us who've been here on CAD for more than "awhile" and have driven "the Beast" and lived the life... we KNOW.

[And let me give a big shout-out to the Women of CAD (and the trucking industry,) NOT because the job is harder on or for them... but, because they are WOMEN doing it!]

Most of those who write about it, and nearly ALL of those who speak for the industry, know nothing.... or are lying about what they DO know!

Tons of Trucking Jobs ... That Nobody Wants - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
"You have a gigantic culture shock when someone is suddenly living on the road in a space the size of a walk-in closet," said Aquila. "Then you have the pressure, the erratic sleep patterns, and the time away from home, family, and friends."
THIS guy has obviously NEVER been in the military! Many... though not all... of the members here on CAD were, and know what I'm saying.

Part of the problem with new trucking "applicants," is that they never served a DAY in the military. Unlike so many other countries, MOST Americans do not GET that "privileged" training and education. Many never even attend a Church "camp." Only those who've been to college (and I mean "residents,") even know what it's like to share a room with a stranger.

I have no problem with these Wussies trying their hand at driving a big rig. But, they must understand that they are a "leg down" to start with, and will HAVE to work harder to "earn their stripes." If they've never been out of their own STATE... they will have to work like a maniac!

I was probably BORN to be a trucker! In fact... the very DAY I was born, Aug 13, 1956, was the day President IKE said... "let there be an Interstate System." He KNEW that I would not want to poke along at less than 70mph! LOL! [actually, that was the day the first Interstate project began.]

I had criss-crossed the U.S. from Seattle to North Carolina twice a year for the first dozen years of my life... sleeping THREE to a backseat (and floorboard) of a '63 Chevy Biscayne (and earlier relics,) as my parents "team drove" us to the relatives for Christmas and summer va-ca! I KNOW "close quarters!"

I know all the original U.S. Highways, and where they eventually bypassed towns with the interstate system. I learned to DRIVE (driver's ED) on the L.A. Freeway system. Got my "learner's permit" at 15 in Cali, and promptly drove the family sedan pulling an 8X14 Uhaul trailer across the "northern route" from L.A. to NC. [That's what is now I-40.]

Prior to that, in my early teens in Texas, I used to stay with an older couple when my parents went out of town (what was THAT about?) who lived on Main St. of Clarksville, TX. That's U.S. Hwy 82 to those who KNOW. The big rigs would hit the top of the hill just before "our" house (where I slept in the front bedroom with the windows open,) and the Jakes would slow them down going down the hill toward the High School. What a glorious sound!

I applaud Werner (according to the article) for a concerted attempt to hire Veterans! But THEY are getting the best part of the deal! Veterans are better equipped for the rigors of the trucking "lifestyle," and have a better sense of "committment" to a plan! They are also (probably) much more safety conscious, and protective of someone "else's" equipment. [You Farmboys are a close second!] LOL!!!

But, today... SO many college grads, Call Center dropouts, and Taco Bell "rejects" are "trying their hand" at trucking cuz the money's good and the "recruiters" are so convincing! And THEN they want to know what went wrong? WHY did they get fired for WRECKING the company's truck? WHY are they being taken advantage of? WHY did they get fired for being LATE to a delivery JUST because they got LOST? WHY can't they make big bucks and be HOME all the time?

Why, why, why?....

I got a simple answer for ya. Cuz you chose NOT to do a "voluntary enlistment" in the Armed Forces of your country. You couldn't SEE how that would prepare you for life... or advance your career options. NOTHING in my history that I posted here tonight prepared me MORE for trucking... than the military did!

The U.S. Military is defintely NOT for "Wusses!" And, neither is TRUCKING.

I didn't join EITHER without knowing what to expect. Why would YOU?

[How's THAT for disobeying the PC Police, repete? Gman? ]

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The wimmin drivers in Northern Michigan, have backs strong enough to be the pommel horse at the Olympics.

They'd love to get their hands on this sweetmeat, but he's too chicken to come here! be-yock buk-buk

Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Senior Board Member

you get that flower girl in here you two ,hope michigan not join in haha
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Okay... that's (the main) part of my sigline... but's it's very much the way I feel.

Those of us who've been here on CAD for more than "awhile" and have driven "the Beast" and lived the life... we KNOW.

[And let me give a big shout-out to the Women of CAD (and the trucking industry,) NOT because the job is harder on or for them... but, because they are WOMEN doing it!]

Most of those who write about it, and nearly ALL of those who speak for the industry, know nothing.... or are lying about what they DO know!

Tons of Trucking Jobs ... That Nobody Wants - Yahoo! Finance

THIS guy has obviously NEVER been in the military! Many... though not all... of the members here on CAD were, and know what I'm saying.

Part of the problem with new trucking "applicants," is that they never served a DAY in the military. Unlike so many other countries, MOST Americans do not GET that "privileged" training and education. Many never even attend a Church "camp." Only those who've been to college (and I mean "residents,") even know what it's like to share a room with a stranger.

I have no problem with these Wussies trying their hand at driving a big rig. But, they must understand that they are a "leg down" to start with, and will HAVE to work harder to "earn their stripes." If they've never been out of their own STATE... they will have to work like a maniac!

I was probably BORN to be a trucker! In fact... the very DAY I was born, Aug 13, 1956, was the day President IKE said... "let there be an Interstate System." He KNEW that I would not want to poke along at less than 70mph! LOL! [actually, that was the day the first Interstate project began.]

I had criss-crossed the U.S. from Seattle to North Carolina twice a year for the first dozen years of my life... sleeping THREE to a backseat (and floorboard) of a '63 Chevy Biscayne (and earlier relics,) as my parents "team drove" us to the relatives for Christmas and summer va-ca! I KNOW "close quarters!"

I know all the original U.S. Highways, and where they eventually bypassed towns with the interstate system. I learned to DRIVE (driver's ED) on the L.A. Freeway system. Got my "learner's permit" at 15 in Cali, and promptly drove the family sedan pulling an 8X14 Uhaul trailer across the "northern route" from L.A. to NC. [That's what is now I-40.]

Prior to that, in my early teens in Texas, I used to stay with an older couple when my parents went out of town (what was THAT about?) who lived on Main St. of Clarksville, TX. That's U.S. Hwy 82 to those who KNOW. The big rigs would hit the top of the hill just before "our" house (where I slept in the front bedroom with the windows open,) and the Jakes would slow them down going down the hill toward the High School. What a glorious sound!

I applaud Werner (according to the article) for a concerted attempt to hire Veterans! But THEY are getting the best part of the deal! Veterans are better equipped for the rigors of the trucking "lifestyle," and have a better sense of "commitment" to a plan! They are also (probably) much more safety conscious, and protective of someone "else's" equipment. [You Farmboys are a close second!] LOL!!!

But, today... SO many college grads, Call Center dropouts, and Taco Bell "rejects" are "trying their hand" at trucking cuz the money's good and the "recruiters" are so convincing! And THEN they want to know what went wrong? WHY did they get fired for WRECKING the company's truck? WHY are they being taken advantage of? WHY did they get fired for being LATE to a delivery JUST because they got LOST? WHY can't they make big bucks and be HOME all the time?

Why, why, why?....

I got a simple answer for ya. Cuz you chose NOT to do a "voluntary enlistment" in the Armed Forces of your country. You couldn't SEE how that would prepare you for life... or advance your career options. NOTHING in my history that I posted here tonight prepared me MORE for trucking... than the military did!

The U.S. Military is definitely NOT for "Wusses!" And, neither is TRUCKING.

I didn't join EITHER without knowing what to expect. Why would YOU?

[How's THAT for disobeying the PC Police, repete? Gman? ]

A little less political correctness is good. I have never been one who supports or participates in political correctness. Some people do come to this business expect the industry to conform to their wants and desires. That isn't going to happen. When you enter any profession you need to understand that it is the applicant who must conform to the company. So many with whom I talk expect to start at top wages, with no experience. That isn't going to happen, either. No organization starts new people out at top wages. When anyone starts a new career they should spend the time to investigate what it will mean to them and what changes they may need to make in order to survive their choice. And there are few carriers that can guarantee to get drivers home every week. Many do try but there is no guarantee. And those who do get drivers home only do so for about a day or day and a half, just about long enough to do a reset. Some still have visions of seeing the country at full throttle and all they need to do is sit back and collect their paycheck. It isn't quite the way most movies portray.