User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default After 8 years Im getting back into trucking. Need advise

I have 12 solid years of trucking experience. I stopped trucking in 2004 went back to college.
In 2007 I found myself in a bit of trouble over childsupport non-payment. Long story short I pled with the court and worked out a payment plan and unsupervised probation for 5 years. Durring that time my CDL was due for renewal, in my ignorence, I assumed I couldnt renew thus I let it expire thinking that Missouri had suspended my license.
Im getting my CDL class A back this next month, I am paying to rent a truck to take my road skills test. However I am wondering what companies are out there that will even consider hiring me do to lack of recent experience and trouble I had over child support.
I cant afford to do the trucking school thing it would not pay enough while in training to support my family and pay the bills.
Any advise or like experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Rookie

After you get your CDL back look at Swift, Werner. You may also consider driving for a O/O that has a few trucks. Check the paper out on Sunday or even craigslist. Good Luck
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think that the child support issue will be much of a factor with carriers. You may need to explain the lack of recent experience and why you allowed your CDL to expire.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Rookie

Well I have been doing a few things since leaving the truck. College, then started my own business, which the economy completely raped btw. And for the past year I have been a stay at home dad to my new daughter. My wife is a Nurse, DON and makes a lot more than I can. So we decided it would be better for us that I stayed home and took care of the baby. It's been an experience to say the least. Now, times are tough, and I need to get back in the work force. The only thing I know I can make decent money and have decent benefits with is Trucking. I do it very well, although I do not look forward to the time away from home, but in the long term it will pay off. My wife currently works 3 days a week. (which is pulling 40hrs in three days!) So she will be able to be at home for the most of the week.
I learned last week that I actually qualify for VA benefits (could have knocked me over with a feather!) SO its looking like after speaking with many companies, that I will attend a trucking school. I am SOOO not looking forward to that! 12 years trucking and none of it counts for anything. Oh well, chalk up another facet of trucking that separates itself from the rest of the world. I am eager to get this thing underway. I am a bit nervous and feel a bit out of my element but I know I can do the work. I have a nice little plaque somewhere in the garage from a company naming me driver of the month, and my little safety award to boot. Never had it officially tallied, but all together I know I'm close to 1 million miles under my belt. So I'm not too worried about doing the job. I am a bit nervous about being able to be competitive in a market that in spite of what the trade mags say, is very picky these days. Perhaps that has something to do with the current 20,000 driver shortage? Who knows. Thanks for your responses. I am still open and eager to hear advice and or input.
Peace
Rex